Front final drive mounts wearing

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

HydroPonix

Front final drive mounts wearing

Postby HydroPonix » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:21 pm

Hello everyone,

I lifted up the pathy and found that the front final drive differential rubber insulator mountings are worn worn worn. Dude at the shop says its a non servicable part and i have to replace the entire front diff. Kinda crappy since its between 1k to 2k to fix. Anyone seen this kind of wear before? Has anyone just replaced the rubber mounts instead of the whole diff?? Any ideas? I seen on courtesy parts its $974 for the part and prolly like $400 for labor. I guess this is a common wear part... and im about 300 miles from the 150k mile marm so its about where things start to go sour.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:04 am

pics? or a drawing showing which part you are referring to?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:54 am

This is an M205, vs the R180 you have, but similar set-up I'm sure.

These are their respective locations from afar:

You seem pretty handy, so it shouldn't be too bad. I got this from titantalk, and it looks straightforward, no fluid dripping/exchange, etc.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-e ... titan.html

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:15 am

The bushings are serviceable. Refer to part code "54721Y" on the parts diagram linked below. They go for about $50/bushing:

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_Pro ... nlPartList

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:52 am

You guys are awesome. I appreciate all of your posts, it really is a big help. I just called nissan after smj999smj's post. Those rubber insulators are servicable. Sneaky sneaky on the mechanics part trying to say it isnt. I got nissan to price match on the insulators... now i just have to figure out how to get em in there.

X-4X4R8D

Postby X-4X4R8D » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:59 am

HydroPonix wrote:You guys are awesome. I appreciate all of your posts, it really is a big help. I just called nissan after smj999smj's post. Those rubber insulators are servicable. Sneaky sneaky on the mechanics part trying to say it isnt. I got nissan to price match on the insulators... now i just have to figure out how to get em in there.
Did you have any luck with this fix? Or did you end up having the shop work on it?

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:23 am

Nissan has the bushings, they are sold individually. I might take it to the dealership to see if they can set the bushings there, if not id have to figure out how to take them out and pack them back in. I have them waiting for me at my local dealer but I just have not had time to take them in. I will probably knock it out next week.

X-4X4R8D

Postby X-4X4R8D » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:12 pm

HydroPonix wrote:Nissan has the bushings, they are sold individually. I might take it to the dealership to see if they can set the bushings there, if not id have to figure out how to take them out and pack them back in. I have them waiting for me at my local dealer but I just have not had time to take them in. I will probably knock it out next week.
Yeah, it sucks. It's causing vibration in the front left and a clicking noise from the diff hitting the crossbar.

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Ouch! Yours is a bit more worn out than mine. I have an appointment on Friday. I'll let you know what they do.... they are leaning more towards replacing the whole damn thing, but ill chew their asses out if they try to go that route.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:51 pm

I would say the easiest way would be with the rear removed, air chisel the bushing out (you might have to use a torch to burn out most of the rubber insulator first), and press the new ones in.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”