2.2K rattle?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Knightro

2.2K rattle?

Postby Knightro » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:51 pm

I saw in another post someone mentioned this. Oreogaborio I think. Anyway, for about the last 1,000 miles or so I've noticed what sounds like a Diesel engine at almost exactly that RPM. Just over 2,000 RPMs under a mild acceleration. Any faster or slower and the sound is gone. I waited to see if replacing the catalytic would have any effect but it didn't. It sounds similar to valve tapping or like I said a diesel. No performance issues at all. Car runs great and of course is out of warranty.

The post I referred to said there was a bulletin about a valve issue and it wasn't harmful. Does this sound related? Could anyone expand on that bulletin?

XVTer

Postby XVTer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:50 am

My Xterra had this issue and it ended up being the heat shield on the exhaust manifold. It had corroded around one of the mounting bolts and caused it to come loose. Drove me nuts for a few months before I figured it out.

May not be your issue, but worth a look :D

Serpens

Re: 2.2K rattle?

Postby Serpens » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:46 pm

I know exactly what sound you're talking about. You've probably been hearing it more since the weather got cold. General Motors LSx V8's do the same thing- it's commonly referred to as piston slap. Some people on the frontier and Xterra forums became concerned about it and went to their dealers and whatnot with mixed results.

I wouldn't worry about it. I bought mine in the winter a few years ago and it did it then. I haven't been nice to it since then either, and it definitely hasn't gotten worse...I'm one of those people who lives within a half mile of the highway. I literally turn on my car and accelerate to 80mph all within about 5 minutes in single digit weather. :P

valenburg

Postby valenburg » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:23 am

There is also a TSB for the intake valves I beleive. I had something similar when i first bought mine around 40K Miles. Something to the poing of a build up and cleaning of the valves.

Knightro

Postby Knightro » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it's the heat shield though. I did have that one before and I thought at first it was similar but it's not. Sounds like engine. I have done all the required maintenance so hopefully not build up or anything. Valves or pistons slap maybe. I'm not familiar with piston slap but it doesn't sound like something that would be good. Guess I'll just run with it till I'm in for service and see what they say.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: 2.2K rattle?

Postby eieio » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:50 am

Knightro wrote:I saw in another post someone mentioned this. Oreogaborio I think. Anyway, for about the last 1,000 miles or so I've noticed what sounds like a Diesel engine at almost exactly that RPM. Just over 2,000 RPMs under a mild acceleration. Any faster or slower and the sound is gone. I waited to see if replacing the catalytic would have any effect but it didn't. It sounds similar to valve tapping or like I said a diesel. No performance issues at all. Car runs great and of course is out of warranty.

The post I referred to said there was a bulletin about a valve issue and it wasn't harmful. Does this sound related? Could anyone expand on that bulletin?
Nissan Technical Service Bulletin NTB05-01b may be related to your noise

Knightro

Postby Knightro » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:35 am

I did search for the bulletin you provided and wasn't able to find the exact one. Is it related to the power valve actuator? Doesn't sound like a home repair job either way but as much specific info I have the better when I talk to the service department. Thanks in advance for more info/links you can provide.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:32 pm

Knightro wrote:I did search for the bulletin you provided and wasn't able to find the exact one. Is it related to the power valve actuator? Doesn't sound like a home repair job either way but as much specific info I have the better when I talk to the service department. Thanks in advance for more info/links you can provide.
1) "google" this: Nissan Technical Service Bulletin NTB05-01b
2) open the first of the options (from Club Frontier)
3) open the link to the bulletin in the first post

Knightro

Postby Knightro » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:52 pm

Thanks! That link was very specific, almost makes me think I could do that myself. I have an '06 pathfinder but it should be the same as the '05 they are describing. If this is indeed the problem then it doesn't look like there are any real moving parts I am damaging at the moment. Thanks again for the link. Believe it or not I saw that thread when I googled it but somehow missed the link with the whole description.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Knightro wrote:Thanks! That link was very specific, almost makes me think I could do that myself. I have an '06 pathfinder but it should be the same as the '05 they are describing. If this is indeed the problem then it doesn't look like there are any real moving parts I am damaging at the moment. Thanks again for the link. Believe it or not I saw that thread when I googled it but somehow missed the link with the whole description.
yeah, I don't know if anything after '05 has been problematic, but it may be related

PV_Pathfinder

Postby PV_Pathfinder » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:49 pm

XVTer wrote:My Xterra had this issue and it ended up being the heat shield on the exhaust manifold. It had corroded around one of the mounting bolts and caused it to come loose. Drove me nuts for a few months before I figured it out.

May not be your issue, but worth a look :D
Ditto on the heat shield. I had the same thing on my 2006 PFer. Dealer just cut it off. Rattle gone.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”