Cracked evap canisters

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Cracked evap canisters

Postby Gray » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:33 am

I was looking through a Nissan Help thread on evap system problems and saw some postings about cracked evap canisters; the suggested fix is to wrap the canister in some rubber belting material or similar. The thread also describes a plugged evap vent hose with suggestion to move the hose end to the engine compartment with a 5/8" extension hose and install a filter to keep the hose free of dirt, which would keep water out of the evap canister as well;

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfind ... error.html

More things to mod... :)

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:16 pm

I decided to pull off the evap vent line to look at condition and see what it would take to extend the hose to either the engine well or maybe behind the rear light;

Pulling the vent line off the elbow I found that it had a couple of ounces of compacted dust and dirt, I imagine if I had done another few trips in wet conditions the vent line could have plugged off and cost me something at the dealership. The plastic elbow slips into the hole above in the box frame, no filter or anything else there to keep out dirt.

As this evap vent hose is usually in the suction mode getting this underwater would be a screw up. The parts guy tells me that getting the evap can full of water means replacing the canister, usually the vent control valve and occasionally the pressure sensor as well. Even getting lots of dust into the evap vent control valve could screw that up as well;

Local parts prices;

Evap canister part # 14950-EA201 $193
Vent Control valve part # 14935-AM60A $124
Evap can pressure sensor part # 22365-AM601 $168

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”