just bought a 2006 pathfinder LE

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:37 am

Couple points. The transmission fluid and radiator hold completely separate fluids. The transmission has metal plumbing that runs through the radiator but the fluids do not mix in any way UNLESS the radiator is faulty. So if this guy thinks the transmission flush somehow made creamy stuff build-up in the radiator....then either your radiator is faulty or he doesn't understand basic mechanics. There really should not be any type of creamy stuff under the cap, particularly if it's NEW.

Have you check the transmission fluid to see how it looks?

cleekmomma

Postby cleekmomma » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:42 am

I haven't today but we have before this issue happened and it looked good.

This morning I checked the reservoir to see what it looked like. The fluid is green but the reservoir has the creamy sludgy mess all over the sides of it and on the rim and inside on the sides. It's about half full but the radiator reservoir has a lot of gunk on sides. I've had this car 2 weeks and have only driven it less than a week. My dealer where I purchased is offering to trade me off for a different vehicle so it's an option I am seriously considering.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:54 am

In watching this forum for a lot of years and listening to the numerous testimonials, I come to the conclusion that once contamination happens, the transmission is toast. If, under warranty (extended or not), it is an automatic replacement of BOTH radiator & trans. Again from my observations, that trans can not tolerate the least amount of contamination. So those who think they will wait until the radiator starts to mix are just fooling themselves. I and many others here decided long ago to be proactive and swap out the offending culprit. We think of it as an insurance policy… pay $400-500 now or $5-6 K later.

Cleekmomma, it appears that emotions of the family are getting into the way of reality. Is it worth a “Nissan” rebuilt transmission? Sounds like the Nissan dealership is being diplomatic to maintain a business relationship with the seller.

cleekmomma

Postby cleekmomma » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:21 am

I have no idea tbh. I just know through my research since we purchased this car and everything that has went wrong it's not going to be the last time it messes up. My purchase dealer will not cover trans cost. So I believe as well from my reading that any contamination makes the trans shit. They are flushing it now at our local Nissan and then I am going to bring it back to my original purchase dealer and what I can do. They are offerin to trade it out for me. But their inventory isn't anything I want ATM

I appreciate all of your communication through this saga. I am thankful for it. And I know my husband is too.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”