Does a 2010 still need the transmission cooler bypass?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

NinjaPyrate

Does a 2010 still need the transmission cooler bypass?

Postby NinjaPyrate » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:00 am

Possibly purchasing a 2010 SE V6 today. I'm not sure what years this problem with radiator was specific to - should I still consider the bypass? I will be towing so would probably want a second cooler installed if so. Lastly, would you get a private mechanic to inspect a certified 2010 before purchasing?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:31 am

The radiator issue applies to 2005-2010 models. There is a full warranty in place to cover the radiator (and transmission if damaged) for 8years or 80k miles. I left mine alone until I hit the 80k and then I replaced the radiator. I think by the time you add an extra cooler it would be just as well to swap radiators and leave it as designed. Some folks just bypass and don't worry about it and realistically they're probably fine. I'm just a bit more anal than that about my vehicles.

I would inspect (or have a mechanic inspect) any vehicle regardless. Nissan CPO is just an extension of the powertrain warranty and maybe the dealer performed the inspections. Maybe. I've seen a CPO car (honda) that had been wrecked but didn't show up on the carfax and the dealer apparently didn't care or didn't notice. Always closely inspect a used car regardless of what a seller says!

In most cases you can buy a non-CPO and add a better warranty for less than what the CPO is marked up. Or just skip the warranty. Odds are not in your favor.

Good luck!

oreogaborio

Re: Does a 2010 still need the transmission cooler bypass?

Postby oreogaborio » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:26 am

NinjaPyrate wrote:I will be towing so would probably want a second cooler installed if so.
I tow ~5000lbs once a month during the summer. Performed the radiator bypass and that's it (as far as cooling is concerned... suspension, power, engine monitoring, etc is another matter). No issues. I monitor my temp with a Bully Dog GT. Only time it got up to dangerous levels was when I was CRAWLING up and then down a damn near vertical mountain in 1st gear. Got to about 250 degrees which is pretty damn hot, but from everything I've read, isn't dangerous or damaging. Most of the time it settles in around 190-210.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”