Torsen differentials for V9X Pathfinder

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

viking84

Torsen differentials for V9X Pathfinder

Postby viking84 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:19 am

Hi all!

I am looking for front and rear Torsen-type (Quaife or similar) differentials for my Pathfinder V6 Diesel. I do a lot of driving on snow and want something that works at high speeds and all conditions, contrary to a full-on locking diff.

Any tips? Honestly don't know where to start when trying to find out what would fit.

/Viking84

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:25 pm

The only locking type of diffs for the R51's worldwide are the full air locking units, and I personally have only seen them made by ARB.

viking84

Postby viking84 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:25 am

That's a shame - I have been very impressed with the Quaife diff I installed on my BMW, made it absolutely amazing to drive in the snow.

Anyone have any experience with an ARB Airlocker for road use in snowy/icy conditions? Will it mess up all the electronic systems on the R51? There is some form of electronic diff action going on that so far has not impressed me much in terms of predictability.

viking84

Postby viking84 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:30 am

A bit more research (and a lot of youtube videos) leads me to believe an ARB air locker might just do the trick. For driving in thick snow on the road locking only the rear diff should provide both traction, predictability and still let me stear the car properly.

Any experience at higher speeds with the diffs locked would be appreciated though, such as driving over sand dunes or similar.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”