Tranny Drain & Fill, 2011 Pathfinder?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

marc515

Tranny Drain & Fill, 2011 Pathfinder?

Postby marc515 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:59 am

I want to do a drain and fill on our 2011 Pathfinder, and am wondering how many quarts of Matic S I will need?

Thank you

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:33 am

it uses matic j trans fluid. i think i used maybe 5

marc515

Postby marc515 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:09 am

JAHBLESSINGS wrote:it uses matic j trans fluid. i think i used maybe 5
My owners manual calls for Matic "S"

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:43 am

marc515 wrote:

and nowadays castrol (i think, which is the one i used last time? can't remember now and i'm too lazy to look it up) has one that's for S or J, along with a few others.

i think i'm about to changing mine again soon though. just rolled to 89k this weekend, will probably change at 90k.

also iirc mine took ~4qts (but i bought 5). best thing to do is take a bucket/jug/etc and mark (use water for measurements) the container so when you take fluid out, you can put the same back in.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:41 am

marc515 wrote:
oh really. i wonder when they changed it. maybe the matic j was breaking down the barrier between the rad and trans causing the milk shake. i've always ponder that.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:38 pm

Matic "S" replaced Matic "J." Castrol makes this ATF for Nissan and is essentially the same as Castrol Multi-import ATF. Personally, I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF in Nissan Matic "D," "J/S," and "K" applications and have never had any problems. I also use it in the transfer case. The Pathfinder trans takes just under 4.0 qts. during a drain and fill. I've been using the Maxlife for 2-years plus in an 06 and an 08 Pathfinder. I usually get it in a 1-gallon jug from Advance Auto Parts for around $20.
The reason for the change has nothing to do with the trans cooler leak. The trans cooler leak is due to a seal failure on the cooler assy. inside the radiator tank. There's a YouTube video where a shop has removed the cooler assy. from the radiator and put it in a tank of water with compressed air going through it. You can clearly see where the leak is.

not on the rug

this

Postby not on the rug » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:25 am

smj999smj wrote:Matic "S" replaced Matic "J." Castrol makes this ATF for Nissan and is essentially the same as Castrol Multi-import ATF. Personally, I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF in Nissan Matic "D," "J/S," and "K" applications and have never had any problems. I also use it in the transfer case. The Pathfinder trans takes just under 4.0 qts. during a drain and fill. I've been using the Maxlife for 2-years plus in an 06 and an 08 Pathfinder. I usually get it in a 1-gallon jug from Advance Auto Parts for around $20.
The reason for the change has nothing to do with the trans cooler leak. The trans cooler leak is due to a seal failure on the cooler assy. inside the radiator tank. There's a YouTube video where a shop has removed the cooler assy. from the radiator and put it in a tank of water with compressed air going through it. You can clearly see where the leak is.
this. the s replaced the j. I used the Valvoline maxlife atf for my last drain and fill and it took exactly 4 qts.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:06 am

how can matic s replace matic j when nissan still sells it? i bought some about a month ago. i think parts managers are not selling the matic j due because they make more money selling the matic s.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 am

i used royal purple max atf in mine with no issues. its also in my transfer case.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:58 am

Nissan Matic Type "J" is no longer made, but there may still be a lot of it on the shelves at various Nissan dealers. Matic Type "S" has superceded Type "J." Type "J" and "S" are both made by Castrol, sold under the Castrol name "Transmax J" worldwide, except for the US, where it is sold as "Castrol Multi-import ATF." It's a semi-synthetic ATF made to JASO 1A specs, which is the Japanese standard for ATF and is far superior than the traditional Dexron III/Mercon ATF that was used in US domestics for years. Most full-synthetic ATF's are made to meed or exceed the JASO 1A specs, so most will work as a replacement ATF in Nissan Type "J/S/D" applications. Just make sure that whatever brand you go with, it states it is recommended for use in Nissan Type "J" or "S" applications. So, unless you enjoy spending $10/quart for "genuine Nissan ATF," there are plenty of alternatives that will work just fine and a lot cheaper. As I said earlier, for me, Valvoline Maxlife ATF works great...and it's half the price of "genuine Nissan Type "S."

marc515

Postby marc515 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:40 am

I could not find Castrol Multi-import ATF, but did find Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle trans fluid, and according to the PDS is only good for Nissan Matic D, J, and K applications. http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusio ... %20PDS.pdf

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:48 am

That publication is from 2011; I'm not sure when Type "S" was released or maybe they just didn't update it. Bottom line is that it states it safe for JASO 1A spec transmissions, so it will work for Type "S" applications. From what I understand, Type "S" is the same as Type "J" but has improved friction modifiers. Per Nissan TSB #NTB08-049b, either "S" or "J" is fine in the Nissan 5spd. RWD A/T. For the Nissan 7-spd. RWD A/T, they list only Type "S" ATF.

twinblown

Re: Tranny Drain & Fill, 2011 Pathfinder?

Postby twinblown » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:08 pm

marc515 wrote:I want to do a drain and fill on our 2011 Pathfinder, and am wondering how many quarts of Matic S I will need?

Thank you
Did my first drain and refill (apox. 4 1/2 quarts) at 100Kmiles. I am now a few thousand miles away from 200K and plan to do that again. you have a 2011 model with how many miles? I don't think I would worry to much.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”