Vibs at idle

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Vibs at idle

Postby Kestral » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:37 pm

I have had my 2012 V6 Path for about 3 weeks now and it has aprox 7,600 miles I have noticed that say at a stop after a few seconds at idle it has a vibration that will go away if I just rest my foot on the gas to bring up the rpm only like 100 or so. Is this vibration common with the PF? And if not does anyone know if it is possible to increase the idle rpm just a little or is it computer controlled?

Jays2010

Postby Jays2010 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:57 am

i've noticed the exact same thing on my 2010. i have a little over 32k miles on mine. Very weird vibration. Subscribed to see if anyone may know what it is.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:21 pm

I did a lot of research on that vibration when I first got mine and I think the verdict was a poorly designed engine mount insulator. That's the flexible part of the engine mount that allows the engine to flex/rotate and absorbs vibrations. While it does a good job at the former, it sucks with the latter. It's not faulty – just poorly designed.

You should notice that the truck only vibrates around that idle frequency, and not all of the time. The V8 is actually worse than the V6.

For a while I thought my engine was misfiring and then a service manager showed me a 2012 that did the same thing.

Raising your idle can be done through your computer but it's more wear on your brakes and transmission (in particular the torque converter and slip components).

JimsPath

Postby JimsPath » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:32 pm

I have the same thing. It doesn't last but you notice it when you are sitting at idle RPM.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:25 pm

DanJetta wrote:I did a lot of research on that vibration when I first got mine and I think the verdict was a poorly designed engine mount insulator. That's the flexible part of the engine mount that allows the engine to flex/rotate and absorbs vibrations. While it does a good job at the former, it sucks with the latter. It's not faulty – just poorly designed.

You should notice that the truck only vibrates around that idle frequency, and not all of the time. The V8 is actually worse than the V6.

For a while I thought my engine was misfiring and then a service manager showed me a 2012 that did the same thing.

Raising your idle can be done through your computer but it's more wear on your brakes and transmission (in particular the torque converter and slip components).
Interesting .. I had a similar issue with a 1992 Volvo 960 with a 2.9 liter straight 6 you could see it wobble slightly back and forth at idle. It was fine and smooth as glass when moving though. It was also traced back to a poor design motor mount. It did not seem to effect the lifespan at all I put around 300,000 miles on that car.

Goliat6288

Postby Goliat6288 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:56 am

same with my 07. glad its normal and i dont have to spend money. lol

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:35 am

all the R51's have that issue. your vehicle should be still under warranty so bring it to the dealer for them to address it.

Goliat6288

Postby Goliat6288 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:32 pm

any idea what they do to address it?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:43 pm

In my experience, this is how most dealerships handle problems like this:

Visit 1: You get a report that says, "Could not reproduce symptom."
Visit 2: They sort of acknowledge the symptom but try to convince you it's normal.
Visit 3: They do something very basic that has nothing to do with the problem. Usually this involves "lubricating" or "adjusting" something to appease you.
Visit 4: They change your spark plugs.
Visit 5: They change your motor mounts.
Visit 6: They turn off the lights when they see you pull onto the lot.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:53 pm

DanJetta wrote:In my experience, this is how most dealerships handle problems like this:

Visit 1: You get a report that says, "Could not reproduce symptom."
Visit 2: They sort of acknowledge the symptom but try to convince you it's normal.
Visit 3: They do something very basic that has nothing to do with the problem. Usually this involves "lubricating" or "adjusting" something to appease you.
Visit 4: They change your spark plugs.
Visit 5: They change your motor mounts.
Visit 6: They turn off the lights when they see you pull onto the lot.
:lol:

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”