Dark red color in oil

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

penny99

Dark red color in oil

Postby penny99 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:31 pm

I recently used Valvoline full synthetic 5w-30 oil for my last oil change in my 2011 pathfinder with 43k on the odometer. I drove just over 5,000 miles on the oil and upon discarding the used oil I noticed it had a slight (dark) red color to it. Is this a characteristic of Valvoline oil, or do I need to investigate further? I haven't experienced any issues with the vehicle, but at the same time I have never seen used oil come out this color. The first thing that goes through my head is somehow tranny fluid got in there?? I checked the trans fluid and all looks normal. Any helpful hints would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:47 am

You may want to post this on Bobistheoilguy.com the oil guys on that site will prob have a few answers for you.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:52 pm

Doesn't sound abnormal to me. I use NAPA synthetic (which I'm told is Valvoline) often but also Mobil 1 and iirc they both usually come out with a red tint. I've had both sampled and at 10k intervals and they were both extremely clean.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”