Transfer Case Fluid

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Path-Less

Transfer Case Fluid

Postby Path-Less » Fri May 09, 2014 4:43 pm

I plan to change the Transmission and transfer case fluids soon in my PF. I am just trying to find out what fluid everyone is using in their transfer case and what postive or negative changes they have noticed with that fluid.

Currently, I am using "Redline 75-90 GL-5+ gear oil" in the front and rear differentials along with Nissan Matic J in transmission and Matic D in thw transfer case. I am going to continue using Matic J fluid in the transmission as my local nissan still carries it and I feel it is best for that part of the drivetrain. But am contemplating Redline D4 ATF for the transfercase as I have had goodluck with their products. However, I am open to other options.

What is everyone using in theirs?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:58 pm

I used Castrol Multi-Import ATF on the transfer case. I used Matic-S (replaces matic-J) for the transmission because I was able to pick up a case for cheap awhile back. The Multi-Import also works fine on the transmission and I'll use that next time.

I'm sure you've had good luck with Redline products...but there are plenty of other options that will be just as good but at half the cost. You're not going to really see a difference from fluids in a non-race/extreme environment. As long as it meets the specs it's going to work fine for this application. 115k miles and no issues and I would be disappointed otherwise.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 15, 2014 11:06 pm

Castrol Multi-import ATF and Nissan Matic "J" are the same thing, just with different labels on the bottle and a few extra $ per court for the genuine Nissan ATF. Outside the USA, Multi-import ATF is known as Castrol Transmax-J. Nissan Matic "S" is the same as Matic "J" but has better friction modifiers. Almost every synthetic ATF on the market will work just fine in Matic "J" applications, including Amsoil and my personal choice, Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Just make sure the ATF is stated as being recommended for use in Nissan "J" or "S" applications. You can usually get a gallon jug of Valvoline Maxlife ATF for $25 or less. I'm running it in two R51's with a combined 100,000 miles and have had no issues with them. As far as the transfer case, you can use regular Dexron III/Mercon, if you wish. I have the Auto mode transfer case in my LE and the standard transfer case in the SE and I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF in both of them, as well; the only difference is the capacity of the auto-mode transfer case is much greater than that of the standard transfer case.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”