Tips for installing second transcooler

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Symbol

Tips for installing second transcooler

Postby Symbol » Tue May 20, 2014 7:19 am

Hi guys, recently I got a used pathy and performed the bypass to avoid possible cross contamination. I was speaking to an old friend about this and he told me he bought a transcooler for his jeep but sold it before having the chance to install it. He told me I could have it so I picked it up.

Its in good shape and it was always in its box with everything. I am thinking of performing the install myself this weekend(not very experienced but determined!) and I wanted to know if anyone had tips on where to mount it.

This cooler(see pic) has no brackets, just zip ties to go through the radiator. Could I mount it on top of the factory cooler? Any tips on how to mount it or make a bracket for it? Thanks!Image

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Tue May 20, 2014 1:55 pm

adding an additional cooler is a waste of time. im at 112k with no issue. original cooler which is much larger than the aftermarket units.

Symbol

Postby Symbol » Tue May 20, 2014 3:47 pm

JAHBLESSINGS wrote:adding an additional cooler is a waste of time. im at 112k with no issue. original cooler which is much larger than the aftermarket units.
I totally understand but since I got it at no cost, why not put it to good use?
I'm in Puerto Rico and our summers are between 95-105F with loads of traffic.

Symbol

Postby Symbol » Wed May 21, 2014 11:06 am

Well I finished the install. Thought about putting it on the drivers side but had concerns on blocking airflow to that area. Ended up mounting it below the stock cooler using some metal pieces I had around and the bottom screws of the stock cooler.

The only issue I faced was getting the cooler strapped to the metal brackets as this basic cooler didn't have any mounting hardware. Since normal zip ties tend to come lose with heat I used ones that have metal clips instead of plastic. It looks a bit ghetto but I really had no other choice.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed May 21, 2014 11:33 am

my concern with this is the potential for problems caused by the installation of the cooler
should it come loose or burst, or if a clamp or hose were to fail, kiss the tranny goodbye
sometimes the solution can be worse than the perceived problem

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed May 21, 2014 11:39 am

I agree. More connections = more possibilities for failure. I realize PR is hot but it's not extreme by any measure. If you were towing very heavy in 95°F or higher temps then maybe adding more cooling would be in order.

If I were really concerned I would just replace the radiator and keep the stock setup. Some folks have purchased aftermarket radiators for sub $100.

Symbol

Postby Symbol » Wed May 21, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks for the responses. I agree if it busts its can become a serious problem but the other day while I was bypassed I experienced 180-195 temps while in massive stop and go traffic which is common here in the metro area of PR. I still haven't had a chance to test temps since I just installed it a couple of hours ago.

I will buy a new radiator when this one busts, I just spent most of my savings on this truck and I'm short on cash at this moment. The cooler was free so I haven't really spent much money. In the coming months I will try and dig into finding a new radiator.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:25 pm

Symbol wrote: but the other day while I was bypassed I experienced 180-195 temps while in massive stop and go traffic which is common here in the metro area of PR. I still haven't had a chance to test temps since I just installed it a couple of hours ago.
Let us know. 180-195 sounds perfectly normal for heavy traffic even without the bypass. An aux fan on the cooler might be better for that type of driving regardless.

Symbol

Postby Symbol » Wed May 21, 2014 1:14 pm

I read somewhere normal is between 150-175 damn you internet!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:12 pm

Symbol wrote:I read somewhere normal is between 150-175 damn you internet!
That could be normal, particularly out cruising on the highway. Around town, running hard, or towing it will go up higher. Many will say an acceptable range is 150-220.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”