Towing 2 jet skis to the lake.. transcooler question..

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

houseofgrafix

Towing 2 jet skis to the lake.. transcooler question..

Postby houseofgrafix » Tue May 20, 2014 9:01 am

Got a 07 V6 4x4.. Did the bypass so it only has that small cooler.
Take my jetskis to the lake this summer. Lake is about 70 miles away and going to launch them from the beach.

Best to get another transcooler?

jman9895

Postby jman9895 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:10 am

not for a load that light, the thing wont break a sweat... I've had 3000 lbs behind mine and forgotten its back there.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Tue May 20, 2014 1:52 pm

no aditional cooler needed.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Fri May 23, 2014 12:14 am

jman9895 wrote:not for a load that light, the thing wont break a sweat... I've had 3000 lbs behind mine and forgotten its back there.
So is there a load limit where the additional cooler would be needed? I've seen threads with users talking about monitoring the transmission with a thermometer, but not sure there have been any conclusions.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri May 23, 2014 8:20 am

AZ_Path wrote:
jman9895 wrote:not for a load that light, the thing wont break a sweat... I've had 3000 lbs behind mine and forgotten its back there.
So is there a load limit where the additional cooler would be needed? I've seen threads with users talking about monitoring the transmission with a thermometer, but not sure there have been any conclusions.
the load limit would be determined by the transmission fluid temperature
you can install a trans fluid temp guage to determine that
be careful with the hardware, materials, and routing
one of our members had the temp sending unit apparatus fail and lost his trans fluid :(

jman9895

Postby jman9895 » Fri May 23, 2014 8:42 am

its not a load limit per say, mine answer was an educated opinion. Those jet skis weigh very little in the grand scheme of things, for something that light you shouldn't need one. Installing a temp sender and a gauge would be the only true way to measure it. But again, those are so light, you shouldn't have a problem without it.

houseofgrafix

Postby houseofgrafix » Fri May 23, 2014 8:50 am

Thanks for the info crew!

What about unloading them on the beach in the sand... Would that make a difference?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri May 23, 2014 8:52 am

houseofgrafix wrote:Thanks for the info crew!

What about unloading them on the beach in the sand... Would that make a difference?
as opposed to............?

houseofgrafix

Postby houseofgrafix » Fri May 23, 2014 11:12 am

eieio wrote:

A dry dock

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri May 23, 2014 11:31 am

houseofgrafix wrote:
eieio wrote:

A dry dock
how would that make a difference? :?

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Fri May 23, 2014 11:32 am

jman9895 wrote:its not a load limit per say, mine answer was an educated opinion. Those jet skis weigh very little in the grand scheme of things, for something that light you shouldn't need one. Installing a temp sender and a gauge would be the only true way to measure it. But again, those are so light, you shouldn't have a problem without it.
eieio wrote:the load limit would be determined by the transmission fluid temperature
you can install a trans fluid temp guage to determine that
be careful with the hardware, materials, and routing
one of our members had the temp sending unit apparatus fail and lost his trans fluid :(
So what is the temperature then where the additional cooler is needed?

I tow 5000+ lbs and live in AZ so I'm assuming I'm going to need the additional cooling capability.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Fri May 23, 2014 11:39 am

I think the majority of your heat build up is going to be when you are driving at highway speed and their is higher RPM for extended periods of time. Driving up a launch ramp or on the beach is probably a very short drive and there is not too much heat build up compared to highway driving.

I assume you have 4WD if you're planning to tow in sand?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri May 23, 2014 12:11 pm

AZ_Path wrote:I tow 5000+ lbs and live in AZ so I'm assuming I'm going to need the additional cooling capability.
Are you by-passed as well? I would think it would make more sense to replace the radiator and go back to a stock setup before adding another cooler. The stock setup can handle what you're doing.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Fri May 23, 2014 12:25 pm

skinny2 wrote:Are you by-passed as well? I would think it would make more sense to replace the radiator and go back to a stock setup before adding another cooler. The stock setup can handle what you're doing.
No I'm not. Since Nissan extended the warranty I've delayed doing the by-pass. I'm just over 60K miles.

I'm thinking instead of doing a coolant flush I should just replace the radiator when the extended warranty is almost up. I don't think the cost is that much different between coolant flush + new external cooler + bypass vs. new radiator. The only question is do I trust the new rad not to fail.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri May 23, 2014 12:29 pm

AZ_Path wrote: The only question is do I trust the new rad not to fail.
that's a good question, whether aftermarket or OEM
BTW: the normal operating temp for ATF seems to be in the range of 150-220 degrees (thanks skinny2 :) )

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”