ECM Diagnostic and tpms problem

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

lebanesepathy

ECM Diagnostic and tpms problem

Postby lebanesepathy » Thu May 29, 2014 11:04 pm

hi, i recently got a 2006 se and shortly joined the forum.
It had the tpms and ses lights on.
i tried the ecm diag but it the ses blinks 5-6 times slow, so what could the problem.
Thanks, got great info even before getting the pathy.
Last edited by lebanesepathy on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Fri May 30, 2014 8:44 am

Your PF is at the age that the individual tire stem batteries wear down, causing this.
This mandated feature was thanks to Ford Explorer, Firestone, and the recommended tire pressure to get a soft ride some years ago. As a result the tires overheated & blew.
Personally, I monitor my tires closely & run the PSI to 40-45#. I ignore that blinking light. Some place black electrical tape over it. Otherwise buy new tire stems. Your choice.

lebanesepathy

Postby lebanesepathy » Fri May 30, 2014 10:21 am

Thnx for the info. :D

akley88

Postby akley88 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:55 pm

CPLTECH wrote:Your PF is at the age that the individual tire stem batteries wear down, causing this.
This mandated feature was thanks to Ford Explorer, Firestone, and the recommended tire pressure to get a soft ride some years ago. As a result the tires overheated & blew.
Personally, I monitor my tires closely & run the PSI to 40-45#. I ignore that blinking light. Some place black electrical tape over it. Otherwise buy new tire stems. Your choice.
what kind of tires are you running that you keep them at 40-45psi

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat May 31, 2014 4:51 am

It's a nice feature to have working for those that don't check their tire pressure on a regular basis. It's also good to alert you of a tire going flat while you're driving if you should pick up a nail; it might prevent one from destroying the tire by riding the tire too low. I recommend using Dorman TPMS sensors. You can get them for about $40 each and they have a lifetime warranty. Genuine Nissan sensors are twice the price and have a 1 year/12000 mile warranty. An activation tool and scantool are needed to program them, though, and the tires need to be dismounted from the rims in order to install them.

The SES light is likely another issue. You'll need to get the codes pulled.

lebanesepathy

Postby lebanesepathy » Sat May 31, 2014 7:40 am

So I can't just replace the sensors' batteries ?

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Sat May 31, 2014 8:58 am

akley88 wrote:
CPLTECH wrote:Your PF is at the age that the individual tire stem batteries wear down, causing this.
what kind of tires are you running that you keep them at 40-45psi
General Grabber Sidewall states MAX 44#
I do it to maximize MPG and the ride is not too rough. No uneven wear patterns.
Those on the mileage forum always stress the increase of tire pressure, coasting, throwing the trans into N at long lights, etc.
Some on this PF forum didn’t buy a PF for economy, others complain about the mileage.
Personally I need a PF type vehicle and it gets 10-15% better than my former 98 Tahoe doing similar tricks.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:42 am

lebanesepathy wrote:So I can't just replace the sensors' batteries ?
It would be nice if you could, but the TPMS sensors have integral batteries that can't be serviced. You need to replace the entire TPMS sensor assy. They generally last about 6 years, give or take. When one fails, the others aren't far behind. Rather than keep replacing one after another and having to go through the programming, it's more practical to replace them as a set in the long run.

lebanesepathy

Postby lebanesepathy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:19 am

Thanks for the help guys

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”