Squealing belt & Crankshaft position sensor??

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

nedley58

Squealing belt & Crankshaft position sensor??

Postby nedley58 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:19 am

I have a 2005 Pathfinder, 115k, that had a very loud squealing serpentine belt. I replaced it and the tensioner about 30k miles ago but I read that non-Nissan belts can prematurely cause the squeal. I ordered the replacement belt, tensioner and idler pulley, but before I installed them the car was becoming hard to start and did not run well. The check engine code indicated a bad crankshaft position sensor.
I ordered the crankshaft position sensor and installed it.
I was going to install the new belt and tensioner but the squeal disappeared with the replacement of the crankshaft position sensor.
It’s been about a month and no squeals at all.
Is this possible?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:56 pm

It shouldn't be related, but I guess anything is "possible." Noisy belts were a common issue on the R51s. Nissan issued a TSB with a countermeasure kit to address this issue which included an updated tensioner and a slightly smaller belt, which on the aftermarket is referred to as an "enhancement kit." As far as your noise, I guess time will tell!

mrfatboy

Postby mrfatboy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:19 am

My crankshaft position sensor just went out in my 2005 patfinder. $20 self fix. The next day the oil pressure sensor went out. I had to take it into the stealership because I was not sure at the time. $300 fix for a $40 part online. They charged me $120 for it. I was pissed.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”