Shudder while stopped

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Firefighter3244

Postby Firefighter3244 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:08 pm

my 08 se 4.0 has done this since we got it. Dealer said it was a bad motor mount, so i installed two new ones and the problem didn't go away.

Granted I installed some cheaper aftermarket ones, but you would still think it should have fixed the problem. It happens at stop lights, idle drops to 500 and shakes the whole damn car. It's annoying, dealt with it for 50k miles and now that we want to sell it we need to fix it.

I guess I'll get new motor mounts, and transmission mount and see if it helps.
I assume cleaning the idle air control valve would also help maybe?

Gottcha86

Postby Gottcha86 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:24 pm

I thought they all did that and if you can or know someone the idle can be bumped up 25 to 50 rpm and it would stop that.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:25 pm

Yes, that's pretty common on these vehicles. As mentioned, the base idle can be raised a little, which helps, but you need either a capable scan tool to do it or a tuner. I used a Superchips Flashpaq tuner to adjust mine and it also does a pretty good job of getting a little more power out of the engine, even in the 87 octane tune.

TRUPathy

Postby TRUPathy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:05 pm

It's "usually" the trans mount that causes the vibration issues. I'll be replacing mine with a urethane unit in the Spring when the weather warms up.

Same thing happened to my Xterra (06) 6 years ago. At a light, I'd knock it in neutral (takes the strain off the drive line) and then back into D = vehicle shake gone

I bought my Path back in October so I haven't been able to check to see if the mount is the same. I have the receipt here somewhere and something tells me that it is listed for a Frontier and not the X or the Path.

I'll update when I find it.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”