So, I have replaced the Fuel Sending Unit. Pathfinder 2006.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

phanul75

So, I have replaced the Fuel Sending Unit. Pathfinder 2006.

Postby phanul75 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:44 pm

Greetings everyone,
I am a newly registered member although I have been following this forum for quite a while. I was able to solve a few issues with my 2006 Path thanks to people posting here. Thanx to all of you for that.
This time I thought to share my experience with my FSU replacement.
For quite a while I have noticed that my Path lacks power. Not all the time but occasionally it would respond poorly to the acceleration pedal. I couldn't find any repeatable pattern. I had to replace both upper O2 sensors and left downstream. I replaced spark plugs. No help. Two weeks ago I went for a trip out of state with my family and to my surprise, When I filled it up on 1/2 of the tank, the indicator didn't move. DTE showed ----. After driving for a while ECU lit up and the code was the problem with the fuel sensor. Did my research and found one for $170 plus S+H. Much less then at the dealership. I couldn't find good directions to how to replace it so I thought to share. I found video of the same replacement in Frontier - NOT THE SAME HERE!!! The rear suspension is different therefore what was quite an easy access in Frontier was a pain in the ... in Path.
I did my replacement right in front of my house with a hydraulic floor jack. Of course try to do it with the least amount of gas in the tank as possible. I did it with maybe 4 gallons left.

- open the fuel filler cap to release tank pressure
- loosen up the lugs for the left rear wheel
- lift up the car at the left rear wheel and support it on the jack stand at the rear axle and remove the floor jack
- take down the left rear wheel
- slip your hand between the frame and the McPherson to release the vent hose. Squeeze the two tabs, comes off quite easily.
- support the tank on the floor jack. Use the piece of plywood not to puncture the hole in the tank.
- take down the brackets holding the tank. Watch for rusty screws. Take your time. I broke one of them. It took me another day to get the sucker out.
- once you have the brackets off, SLOWLY lower the tank just enough to slip your hand to release the lower fuel filling hose and the EVAP hose - right by the rear wheel, behind the frame. You need to push U-shaped lock. Be careful - it breaks really easily.
- then lower the tank, SLOWLY, just a little bit more to slip your hands between the tank and the car floor.
- disconnect the electrical connector (just slips off) and one more hose (not sure what it is but I think it may be also a vent hose) squeeze the tabs just like the first one.
- once all lines are disconnected, lower the tank all the way and pull out from under the car.
- untwist the holding bracket, there is a special tool but I used a screw driver and a hammer, gently
- replace FSU
- to reinstall, just reverse the steps. Remember to place the EVAP hose back in the groove. It gets in the way when installing the tank.

I should have taken pictures, but honestly I wasn't sure I won't end up towing my car to the stealership. Well It worked and in the end was not that difficult.
I hope it helps.

Good luck. :D

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:24 am

welcome & thanks! :)

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”