Pushing the Limits of Towing

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ValleyWalker

Postby ValleyWalker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Yes, I had the WDH installed for everything except weighing the Path by itself today.
So if these numbers DO in fact give me an accurate Tongue Weight (w/o actually weighing the tongue) I have 2 questions:
1) Is there any way to lower that tongue weight number, i.e. more weight in the rear end?
2) Is being over the Tongue Weight by 160 a show stopper?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:57 pm

Before we jump to that conclusion, I'd weigh the tongue weight to verify.

What is the rated tongue weight of the TT?
If you end up needing to reduce tongue weight, there are a few things you could look at. Usually the propane tanks are right on the tongue, which doesn't help things. Also sometimes people put bigger tanks on, which could make it worse. Also the battery is usually right up there. So you could:

1. Move the battery. - You could move the battery somewhere else on the trailer, hopefully closer to the axles. Some heavy cable would probably do the trick here. If I was doing it, I'd put it in my dinette seat, on the side that isn't used for under seat storage. Battery = ~70lbs

2. Reduce to one propane tank, or make sure you only have 20lb tanks. Not sure what these weigh, but I'm guessing about 40-50lbs when full (for a 20lb tank).

3. Moving stuff to the rear of the trailer - but this will have a limited effect.

ValleyWalker

Postby ValleyWalker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:02 pm

I understand that moving things to the rear of the trailer will only have a limited effect, any of which I can counter-balance by adjusting the WDH too.
I don't mind building a rear cage for the two very large tanks and the battary I have up front. I could build a very nice rear bumper cage and run new gas/electrical lines

But I'll go back out to the TT and get an accurate Tongue Weight in the next few days. I'd hate to guess.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:06 pm

buried this question in my response:

What is the rated tongue weight of the trailer?

Keep in mind that this value on the sticker will probably not include the battery or propane tanks. Also, I forgot, my spare tire is attached to the tongue, not sure if yours is or not but thats another 40lbs ish.

t

ValleyWalker

Postby ValleyWalker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:16 pm

It appears this may be it:
665 Dry Tongue Weight
780 Loaded Tongue Weight

Does 'Dry' mean no gas in tanks or no tanks at all? and no battaries?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:38 pm

ValleyWalker wrote: Does 'Dry' mean no gas in tanks or no tanks at all? and no battaries?
Correct. Unloaded trailer.

ValleyWalker

Postby ValleyWalker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Let me rephrase that...
Does 'Dry' mean:
1) no gas in tanks?
or
2)no tanks at all?

and does 'dry' mean no battaries mounted on tongue either?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:51 pm

no tanks and no battery. The dry weight of your trailer could also be less any appliances, including the fridge, a/c unit, and whatever else, but this is dependent on the policy of the manufacturer.

ValleyWalker

TONGUE WEIGHT

Postby ValleyWalker » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:12 pm

Well the tongue weight was exactly what we thought... 760 lbs.
SO, I am officially over Mfg. Recommended Max Tongue Weight (even when using the weight dist. hitch) by 160 lbs.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”