Diesel in Gas Pathfinder...

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:25 am

Jimmy777 wrote: Some of you guys talk about changing the spark-plugs yourself but after looking at the post somewhere here (with colored pics and steps) i think its sort of involved...?
it is rather involved, but also a good time to get those compression & leakdown tests done
at least do the compression test, then with those results you can make a decision on whether or not to do the leakdown tests
at a gallon of oil per 500 miles, that thing must have a bit of exhaust smoke, no?

Jimmy777

Postby Jimmy777 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:53 pm

eieio wrote:
Jimmy777 wrote: Some of you guys talk about changing the spark-plugs yourself but after looking at the post somewhere here (with colored pics and steps) i think its sort of involved...?
it is rather involved, but also a good time to get those compression & leakdown tests done
at least do the compression test, then with those results you can make a decision on whether or not to do the leakdown tests
at a gallon of oil per 500 miles, that thing must have a bit of exhaust smoke, no?
suprisingly not that much smoke...
it used to do that 6 months back or so...
little smoke id say...

just talked to the dealer...
they feel its a waste of 240 bucks to do both tests... he is going ahead to get me quotes for a used and new engine...

its going to be pricey!

this is probably a silly question - but could they put in a pathfinder diesel engine while they are at it? Or is this a major change?

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:26 pm

This may be somewhat difficult to accomplish, but if I had to replace the engine, I would look into a wrecked Xterra manual transmission transplant. Not sure if feasible, but I have never been happy with the auto trans in my PF.

Jimmy777

Postby Jimmy777 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:20 am

Well just got a call from a dealer...

12,000 for a new including work etc
6000 for old including work etc.. + taxes....

they do not do engine rebuilds...

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:18 pm

I would find a good independent shop for this type of work. They'll be more likely to find a better alternative anyway.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”