Which U-Joints?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Path-Less

Which U-Joints?

Postby Path-Less » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 pm

I am about to change the two rear driveshaft ujoints on my 2008 V8. I was about to order the Ujoints and noticed for the rear driveshaft they have two different models listed? One for aluminum yokes and the other for steel?

Any guidance as to the correct part would be great... Thanks

Here are included links...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/moog ... fragment-1

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/moog ... m=u-joints

Side note: I have always had good luck with a USA made Moog part. I don't care for the zerk fitting but I noticed the ujoint for the aluminum yoke comes with a zerk.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:33 am

I installed the aluminum ones on mine last year. No problems with installation or performance. I actually prefer the zerk fitting so I can ensure the u-joint still has grease in it. My stock u-joint had no grease and the needle bearings were just a pile of dust when i replaced mine.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:53 am

serviceable is the way to go. I doubt the material will matter much, though aluminum should be lighter...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:28 am

Just look at the front and rear yokes of the driveshaft and see if they are made out of aluminum or steel. If you are not sure, use a magnet.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks for your help... I got under the path tonight and the driveshaft tube itself is aluminum with steel yokes. I am going to get the (MOOG 354c) I did a little research and they are essentially the same however the 354c resists corrosion. I ordered and picked them up today. Both u joints for $30.17 after tax. I did the front driveshaft today and the rears will be on tomorrow's agenda. Hopefully it goes smooth...

Thanks again.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”