Startup nose (with video)

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

Startup nose (with video)

Postby DanJetta » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:48 am

I know some startup noise is normal before the oil reaches the head but my noises are gradually getting louder and lasting longer. And it kills me to hear that racket.

Two distinct sounds: 1) clanking and 2) ticking. The clanking goes away after about a second; the ticking almost sounds like a lifter and lasts about 2-3 minutes, even when driving.

It's a V8 and I just got my oil changed at the dealership and spent about $1K getting all the fluids changed (drain and fill, no flushing). It drives fine and idles smoothly.

Below is a video – though it doesn't really do the sounds justice.

Thoughts?

http://youtu.be/10aD7dHGCA0

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Startup nose (with video)

Postby eieio » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:18 am

DanJetta wrote:I know some startup noise is normal before the oil reaches the head but my noises are gradually getting louder and lasting longer. And it kills me to hear that racket.

Two distinct sounds: 1) clanking and 2) ticking. The clanking goes away after about a second; the ticking almost sounds like a lifter and lasts about 2-3 minutes, even when driving.

It's a V8 and I just got my oil changed at the dealership and spent about $1K getting all the fluids changed (drain and fill, no flushing). It drives fine and idles smoothly.

Below is a video – though it doesn't really do the sounds justice.

Thoughts?

http://youtu.be/10aD7dHGCA0

I couldn't hear anything particularly unusual in the video
are these new noises since the fluid changes were done, or older?
have you verified the oil level(s) to be correct, and that they used the correct oil?

azaizai

Postby azaizai » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:31 am

I hear the beginnings of an exhaust leak. Might check your manifolds, I think those are prone to cracks though I havent done enough research to know where/what to check

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:47 am

I'm going to try to get better audio this weekend.

The lifter noises are new since the fluid change. I was actually wondering the same about the correct oil. The levels are good. I might re-change the oil myself because I didn't get the best feeling from that dealership.

Interesting thought about the exhaust leak. Only think is the sound goes away after a few minutes.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:53 am

DanJetta wrote:I'm going to try to get better audio this weekend.

The lifter noises are new since the fluid change. I was actually wondering the same about the correct oil. The levels are good. I might re-change the oil myself because I didn't get the best feeling from that dealership.

Interesting thought about the exhaust leak. Only think is the sound goes away after a few minutes.
I wouldn't trust a dealership to get my tire pressures checked properly.:(
Exhaust leaks can become less noisey with warm-up, as the parts expand with heat.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:35 pm

The brief "ticking" sounded a lot like an exhaust manifold leak to me. They are prone to cracking on the V8's. I would check there.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:51 pm

I have a 2008 v8 so maybe I can chime in.

The start up ticking right at the beginning is exactly what mine does. It has done it for as long as I can remember. I had a couple Nissan techs check it out and the diagnosis was as stated in the above comments an exhaust leak from one of the headers, possibly both. It's not a real big deal as you can tell the sound goes away as the exhaust flow stabilizes and the metal expands. If the car has already been driven for a few hours most likely your startup won't have that sound but give the engine enough time to cool and welcome it back... It's not a cheap repair but if you do decide to replace may I suggest some aftermarket shorties or long tubes (long tubes will require a tune) headers. Otherwise, it's not something that requires immediate attention.

As for the other noises you mention. I couldn't hear them in the video but I assure you the VK56 is not a silent motor. It has ticks and other weird sounds until it has been properly warmed up, especially with synthetic motor oils. Once warm it purrs like a kitten. Just run good oil and filter.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:29 pm

Thanks, all, so much for the input. Manifold/headers it is. I understand the high price tag because they look buried in there.

I've always been impressed with how smoothly this V8 purrs once warmed up. Let's see how long I can keep this thing running.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:32 am

You may want to make sure the Stealership put a Nissan OEM oil filter on and not some cheep filter without a proper draianback valve. There are some real good aftermarket oil filters out there but also some real junk.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:14 am

Kestral wrote:You may want to make sure the Stealership put a Nissan OEM oil filter on and not some cheep filter without a proper draianback valve. There are some real good aftermarket oil filters out there but also some real junk.
Great point. I did check and it's a Nissan filter. I got a bad feeling from the dealership when they called and misdiagnosed a couple of things so I tried to double check everything I could. Probably won't be going back there.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”