"Pinging" noise when idle, 2011 Pathfinder

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

OtterAKL

"Pinging" noise when idle, 2011 Pathfinder

Postby OtterAKL » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:47 am

Had this car less than a week and noticed this morning when the engine has been running a while and it is in idle, I get "pinging" noises like you would normally hear when you shut an engine off and it is cooling down.

Called the dealership and they assured me it was normal (cat converter cooling down) and there are no indicator lights on, but as a new owner I'm especially OCD and wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience.

Thanks!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:40 am

On my 05 you couldn't hear these noises over the sound of my cooling fan. I wouldn't worry about these noises.

OtterAKL

Postby OtterAKL » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:03 am

disallow wrote:On my 05 you couldn't hear these noises over the sound of my cooling fan. I wouldn't worry about these noises.
Thanks for the reply. Assumed it wasn't a worry, but of course any sound you hear in the first week of owning a car freaks you out.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:29 am

yeah for sure. I had a guy over from the forum last fall, and was shocked at how much quieter his 08 pathy was than mine. My fan clutch is old and probably needs to be replaced, it makes my rig much louder, kind of like a hovercraft! :)

But based on how quiet his pathy was, I could totally understand hearing some of the noises you mentioned.

How many miles on yours?

t

OtterAKL

Postby OtterAKL » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:31 am

disallow wrote:yeah for sure. I had a guy over from the forum last fall, and was shocked at how much quieter his 08 pathy was than mine. My fan clutch is old and probably needs to be replaced, it makes my rig much louder, kind of like a hovercraft! :)

But based on how quiet his pathy was, I could totally understand hearing some of the noises you mentioned.

How many miles on yours?

t
50,200 miles. Without the AC blowing full, it is otherwise really quiet at idle

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”