Read the forums, still need input on suspension

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Barjrob1972

Read the forums, still need input on suspension

Postby Barjrob1972 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:14 am

We just returned from a 2200+ mile trip with the 2012 R51 and I'm pretty happy with the way it performed but I can see the need for upgrading. I'm not looking at anything major but tires are first on the list. I'm going to go with Firestone Destination's in the 245/75-17's since I can get them for about $680 installed and the reviews are pretty good.

The suspension is troubling me and since this is a family hauler and vacation vehicle, I'm almost to the point of just swapping shocks and leaving it alone but, I would like to stiffen the body roll a bit. The swaying going around sharp corners in the mountains really exacerbated my wife's tendency to get car sick. After reading this forum, I'm seeing folks either go with the Rancho Quick Lifts or build their own.

On the Rancho's - I'm not seeing the Quick Lifts for the front of the vehicle listed on their site yet I see some who have them. Can I get some part numbers if they are available?

The second option is the OME springs and Bilstein shocks.

The major problem I am seeing is the alignment in the rear of the vehicle after any lift. Is this accurate? I'm going to get the Cam bolts but I am reading it's still hit-or-miss.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:45 pm

I think you're shooting yourself in the foot by going with that tire size to save a few bucks. Also, any type of lift is not likely to improve the sway. If you really want to improve handling you want to go the other way.

Airlift in the rear and bilsteins is what I'm running. I drive very curvy roads all day and the PF handles quite well even with 120k on the clock. Just normal driving it feels more secure than my wifes Acura MDX. The ride gets a little rough at times but a I don't think I can do much better without going to a lowering spring.

Raising the suspension with 3/4" narrower tires that have 1/2" more sidewall sounds like a recipe to really slop out the driving experience.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:29 pm

I will agree with the airlift in the rear springs. It is the best mod by far you can do to help with the saggy rear end of our pathfinders.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:46 pm

I agree, as well. Raising the center of gravity is not the way to reduce sway. If you decide to stick with the stock ride height, Airbag 1000's will give you the best bang for the buck! The make a big difference, especially with the R51's tendency to bottom out in the rear when going over large bumps and potholes. The Bilstein HD's are better than the stock rear shocks, but since your Pathy is brand new, the difference between the stock gas shocks and the Bilsteins might be marginal, at this point. The stock front struts are actually pretty good.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:31 pm

smj999smj wrote: The Bilstein HD's are better than the stock rear shocks, but since your Pathy is brand new, the difference between the stock gas shocks and the Bilsteins might be marginal, at this point. The stock front struts are actually pretty good.
I changed my rears to the Bilstein HD's around 20k miles and it was a big difference. I later added the airlift which was also a big difference. I can imagine doing both at the same time would feel like a totally different vehicle.

Barjrob1972

Postby Barjrob1972 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:30 am

Ahh, air bags. Don't know why that slipped my mind. That's far less expensive as well. That's the direction I'll go as I really didn't want to start monkeying with the geometry of the vehicle. Without the running boards, my little Granddaughters have trouble getting in and out of the Pathy now. They have to sit in the floor and slide out.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:17 am

You can usually find factory running boards fairly cheap on the boards or ebay. A lot of off-roaders take them off for more hardcore options. I like the OEM boards as they're big enough to be useful (especially kids) but they're not obnoxious and drag your pants getting in/out. Keeps a lot of slop off the sides of the car too.

Barjrob1972

Postby Barjrob1972 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:45 am

skinny2 wrote:You can usually find factory running boards fairly cheap on the boards or ebay. A lot of off-roaders take them off for more hardcore options. I like the OEM boards as they're big enough to be useful (especially kids) but they're not obnoxious and drag your pants getting in/out. Keeps a lot of slop off the sides of the car too.
I actually have my factory boards and pulled them off. I got tired of busting my shins on them but after watching the girls, I may have to reinstall them until they get a little bigger. I prefer the look of the vehicle without them but it is a family vehicle, too, so I may have to make a concession. After all, I have my lifted F150 for me to play with. I really hate those plastic mud flaps but left them on, for now.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”