Traction control adjustment.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Lord Farquaad

Traction control adjustment.

Postby Lord Farquaad » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:28 pm

As you all know, some high end 4x4 vehicles with trick electronics have settings for Rock, Sand, Snow etc. Apparently the R51 also has this, but not adjusted with a knob. With the development of some "Arctic truck" type vehicles here in South Africa, people were looking for ways for the gearbox to handle 34"-36" tyres(Sorry, tires) :D. No solution was found to modify the torque converter lock-up solenoid settings. What they did find was that there is some settings on the traction control that can be adjusted.

I saw the modified settings in action on a trail that I went on. My Pathy got stuck in a mud hole because there is quite some wheel slip before the traction control does its thing. Another Pathy went through the same hole without effort. Observes said they could see there was almost no spinning of the wheels before the traction control kicked in.

So I had mine adjusted by my local Nissan dealer. He is privvy to the info, but it is not an authorized Nissan adjustment, so he can not advertise it. I will be able to give feedback next month as to how well this performs as I am going back on a trail that I had to turn around on due to no traction going over big rocks.

I could not see exactly where the Nissan service manager did the change, as he tried to shield his diagnostic machine from me. What I did see is that there is 3 settings for this parameter. It had a value of 0.2, 0.3 and 1.2 kg/cm2. That would be 2.48psi, 4.27psi and 17.1psi. My vehicle was set to the lowest value, 2.84psi, which is the least sensitive. He then changed it to the highest, or most sensitive, value.

Don't know if this is SIAL or if any of you have heard of it?

labsy

Postby labsy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:09 am

Interesting.
I also read on one forum (dunno exactly, where) that you can change ECU for traction control to kick-in at lower speed or at lower speed difference (right/left), but I had not found any exact info on this matter.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”