4WD light after ChipTuning

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

labsy

4WD light after ChipTuning

Postby labsy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:39 pm

Hi,

I've just bought (new for me :)) 2006 Pathfinder LE 2.5 dCi and it's a great rig! Really love it after 2 days.
Now, I have a plan to pimp it a bit so I ordered few items on eBay. One of them is kinda cheap ChipTuning box (this one), which connects directly to diesel common rail. Seemd quite a good choice.
After installation, everything works as expected, my patthy pulls noticeably better and first few miles I was more than satisfied.
But after few miles I realised that when I push gas to the floor for more than 5 or so seconds, it really pulls....BUT at the same time "4WD" light comes on and engine goes into "Safe mode", pulling just to move, without any real power. Need to stop/start it to come back to normal.

I tested it in all driving modes and found out:
- in AUTO, 4HI and 4LO modes the "4WD" light comes out after I push it to the floor for 5 or more seconds
- in 2WD mode "Engine" light comes on instead of 4WD light
When driving "normally" nothing light up and vehicle drives normally.

Any idea, what could be wrong?
Should I check any hardware.....or might it be that this particular ChipTuning box is just not right for my patthy?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:46 pm

I would remove it and see what happens. If the issues go away, you know it has to do with the tuner. You may want to contact the tech support for the company that makes the tuner or check their website for information that might be relevant to your problem.

labsy

Postby labsy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:36 am

I've just took advantage of excellent Electronic Service Manual and got diagnostic codes from my vehicle about 4WD system:

11 Clutch pressure switch
- Improper signal is input due to open or short circuit.
- Malfunction occurs in clutch pressure switch or hydraulic circuit.

12 Line pressure switch
- Improper signal is input due to open or short circuit.
- Malfunction occurs in line pressure switch or hydraulic circuit.

14 Accelerator pedal position sensor (from ECM)
- Malfunction is detected in accelerator pedal position signal that is output from ECM through CAN communication.
- Signal voltage from accelerator pedal position sensor is abnormally high or low.

22 ESP operation signal (from ESP)
- Malfunction is detected in ESP operation signal that is output from ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) through CAN communication.

23 TCS operation signal (from TCS)
- Malfunction is detected in TCS operation signal that is output from ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) through CAN communication.

I hope all those have same roots in some electric "easy to repair" malfunction... :?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:17 pm

My advice stays the same. You don't know if the tuner caused the codes or something else. Since it all started when the tuner was installed, I'd remove it and erase the codes and see what happens.

labsy

Postby labsy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:43 pm

Yes, you were right!
Tuning box caused most of those malfunctions, though I am not sure about those clutch and line pressure errors.
Cleared ECM, will drive for a day or two and then check for diagnostic codes again.

Thanx for advice!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:01 pm

In that case, you may want to contact the tuner's makers tech support and see if there's a way to correct those issues and use their tuner...or, at the very least...let them know the problems that their tuner is causing, so they can devise such a fix.

labsy

Postby labsy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:26 am

Actually, I requested money back, because I do not have confidence in the product anymore.
I went to local chip tuning workshop and guyz told me, they can reprogram my ECU with all proper variables, taking into account every aspect of how machine works. This would include proper cleaning and adjusting of all components (injection system, intercooler, MAF sensor, catchcan install, EGR delete...) plus of course reprogramming main ECU with parameters for fuel system, turbine boost, shifting response and accelerator pedal.
Price for all those would be 400 EUR and it seems very reasonable to me.

Will report back once work is done.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”