Please help me ID the part (pic) / source of my coolant leak

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

markymarc2u

Please help me ID the part (pic) / source of my coolant leak

Postby markymarc2u » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:13 am

I have a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. When the engine is running, I'm constantly dripping coolant, and topping off the reservoir at the end of the day.

The area where the leak is, is just on the passenger side, near the firewall. I took a photo of where the leak appears to be originating from, and drew a line showing what I think is the highest point of the leak. Can you please help me identify the part(s) where you think the leak is coming from?

Is this a DIY job for a novice, or one better left to the pros? Any idea what I'm looking at the dealer cost-wise?

Thank you very much for your help! Photos are below....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6WJ8T ... sp=sharing

Last edited by markymarc2u on Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

labsy

Postby labsy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi,

is it petrol or diesel engine?
Left hand steering or right-hand?
On which side inside machine is it located - looking from the front, is it left or right side?

markymarc2u

Postby markymarc2u » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:27 pm

labsy wrote:Hi,

is it petrol or diesel engine?
Left hand steering or right-hand?
On which side inside machine is it located - looking from the front, is it left or right side?
It is a gas engine, left hand steering.

Looking inside from the front, this picture shows the back area of the engine compartment by the firewall, and just left of center.

Thanks for your help!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:53 pm

It's called a heater hose assy., Nissan P/N: 92408-ZL90B. MSRP $211.12 and sells online for around $160. Refer part code "92414" on the diagram linked below:

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/parts-li ... iping.html

markymarc2u

Postby markymarc2u » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 am

Thank you for your response smj999smj! I appreciate the link as well.

I'm going to compare the cost of having the dealer do it with buying the part(s) myself. Looks like $159 for the heater hose assembly. I'm concerned with how many connections there are, and how many unknown parts I'm going to need as I start pulling connections from the existing assembly. Looks like lots of clips and clamps. I guess I just don't know what I'm in for. I also read the heater hose outlet plastic connectors are very fragile. Does it sound like I'm talking myself out of trying this job myself?

Thanks again.

aadadams

Re: Please help me ID the part (pic) / source of my coolant

Postby aadadams » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:59 am

markymarc2u wrote:I have a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. When the engine is running, I'm constantly dripping coolant, and topping off the reservoir at the end of the day.

The area where the leak is, is just on the passenger side, near the firewall. I took a photo of where the leak appears to be originating from, and drew a line showing what I think is the highest point of the leak. Can you please help me identify the part(s) where you think the leak is coming from?

Is this a DIY job for a novice, or one better left to the pros? Any idea what I'm looking at the dealer cost-wise?

Thank you very much for your help! Photos are below....

I missed your post somehow, but I had the dealership do mine about 6 mos ago for many of the reasons you indicated. I saw the coolant but couldn't really tell if it was coming from one place or not. I didn't want to end up in a parts replacement loop that may have been more expensive in the end... if memory serves, I found another dealers coupon that my dealer honored for 30% off ending in the job being about $400. GL

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:02 am

markymarc2u wrote:Thank you for your response smj999smj! I appreciate the link as well.

I'm going to compare the cost of having the dealer do it with buying the part(s) myself. Looks like $159 for the heater hose assembly. I'm concerned with how many connections there are, and how many unknown parts I'm going to need as I start pulling connections from the existing assembly. Looks like lots of clips and clamps. I guess I just don't know what I'm in for. I also read the heater hose outlet plastic connectors are very fragile. Does it sound like I'm talking myself out of trying this job myself?

Thanks again.
yes, however, all of those reasons are all the more reason to do it yourself if you can
that way, you can be sure that any details (clamps, brittle parts, etc) will be fixed and not glossed over by a shoddy mechanic more interested in getting the job done than doing a good job of it
a recommendation is to take pictures before disassembly so that you can identify the location of the parts
this will aid in reassembly

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:06 pm

My main concern is how much room you have at the back of the engine to get to everything. You may need to remove the intake plenum for room. I would suggest you take a good look back there before you attempt to do it yourself.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”