2005 pathfinder transmission interchangability

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Lebel

2005 pathfinder transmission interchangability

Postby Lebel » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:17 pm

I'm going to look at a 2005 pathfinder LE tomorrow but I cannot get the transmission issues these have off my mind, I will be using this vehicle mainly for long road trips from TN to FL with my wife new born baby and my 3 year old so I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road.

1. Will any transmission from a 2005-2010 pathfinder fit as long as its the auto/4wd model? (reason for asking is that a used transmission for a 2005 is extremely expensive.

2. Should I bring this vehicle to a nissan dealership and get a pre purchase inspection?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:40 pm

Not only would the replacement transmission have to be from a LE, it would also matter the production date of the vehicle the trans came from and would likely need to come from a V6. They would all physically be the same on the outside, but Nissan used several different valve bodies. That said, the automatic transmission, itself, is not the problem; they are actually very good. It's the radiator's integral trans cooler that's the problem, which have a problem leaking and causing cross-contamination which can ruin the transmission. If the radiator has been replaced or bypassed prior to any cooler failure, chances are you won't have anything to worry about.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”