better explanation of "feels funny" - tranny issue

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

BlueTJMCRT

better explanation of "feels funny" - tranny issue

Postby BlueTJMCRT » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Ok, so I posted a few days ago about flushing out my tranny fluid because I thought that my transmission was starting to "feel funny" and a couple people replied that (obviously) "feel funny" didn't help much.

I think I can explain what I'm feeling. 2008 Pathfinder SE V6

I just turned 90,000 miles

1 - When the vehicle shifts, it sometimes feels as if I'm having to give it gas when I shouldn't. If I'm driving and take my foot off the gas pedal, the Pathfinder doesn't coast, it actually seems to slow down quickly for the fact that it's in overdrive.

2 - Sometimes....it feels like when shifting from 1st gear that it slips at the tail end of the shift. No slipping when taking off or driving, but when it shifts into 2nd I almost feel and hear the engine rev for slight second like it's slipping.

The vehicle drives quite nice and doesn't clunk or shift rough, it just seems to drive different than when we purchased it 8 months ago. I starting reading these forums and have convinced myself I'm having the radiator/tranny issue :)

I took it in and had the transmission flushed and was told there appeared to be no contamination whatsoever. I did the transmission bypass but I'm just wanting to get an opinion on whether or not the transmission stuff I'm feeling is normal.

Thanks!

RedPathy

Postby RedPathy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:07 pm

I think I'm experiencing similar symptoms, but at different times. What happens to me occurs between 4th gear and overdrive when the tranny seems to slip, almost feels like it downshifts to 3rd before finally shifting into 5th gear (OD). I've tried everything, tranny flush, new tranny cooler, bypass, new radiator (with alternately designed tranny cooler), and no results. Could be shift solenoids but in all honesty this RE5 tranny confuses the hell out of me. I swear every time I drive the car it shifts differently.

BlueTJMCRT

Postby BlueTJMCRT » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:31 am

Ok, took it into a very reputable transmission shop here in town, and he told me that everything looks good. He has seen quite a few Nissan trucks/pathfinders with this issue and has bypassed many as well. He told me all looked good and to go out and drive the damn thing :)

Bypass is done. Hoping for the best

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:23 am

I can remember when we bought our 05 back in 2007, I mentioned to the dealer that the transmission flared sometimes on shifts. They wanted to sell the truck, so they swapped the fluid, did an analysis and reported back everything looked good.

This was before the dreaded radiator issue was really known about. I bypassed the rad about a year after getting the truck, and it has been rock solid since then. We've put over 100k miles on it in that time, and if I had to buy something else today, I would be look at a 2012. Or maybe an Armada, but not sure.

t

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:55 am

#2 seems to be normal, particularly when pulling hills. One of the roads I turn onto everyday has a steep hill climb immediately as I turn. It has shifted like you describe going up this hill since new. Still shifts the same way and at the exact same spot now with 125k miles.

I'm just glad it downshifts when taking that turn. My wife's MDX will try to pull that same hill in 3rd unless you mash the pedal or manually downshift.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:45 am

I get sort of an odd RPM blip when shifting into OD. Usually occurs when cold or the first shift into OD of my commute. It has been covered in a couple other threads on these boards. Being told it is normal and nothing of concern.

V8 spec by the way.

booradley

Trans miss or studder

Postby booradley » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:55 pm

Driving up a grade today, 16,000 miles on the clock, 2012 Pathfinder, suddenly the vehicle missed, like jumping out of and into gear, a brief second. Happened 2X today for the very first time. Felt like the vehicle hesitated, engine sounded normal, felt like trans or rear issue?
Fluids look OK for now? Speed approx 65 MPH, not that much of a pull on the engine.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:12 pm

You said the engine sounded normal but it felt like it jumped in/out of gear. Normally the latter would increase the revs of the engine. Did the revs change? Were you holding steady on the pedal, trying to speed up, or was cruise on?

booradley

Trans Issue?

Postby booradley » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:33 am

I was on an upgrade, and had the pedal steady, and the two times the issue happened, exactly the same sensation, I was steady on the gas. It felt like it was suddenly out of gear, did not down shift, and travel resumed with no further issue?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:13 am

I'd say you'll just have to watch it and see if it continues to do it or gets worse. Could have been something in the fuel line or bad gas. You never know but not much you can do right now.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”