VDC

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Barjrob1972

VDC

Postby Barjrob1972 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:43 am

Our Cherokee Trailhawk traction control operates in two ways: press the button once and the traction control turns off partially and press and hold for 10 seconds and it completely disables traction control (supposedly). I was wondering if the VDC in the Pathfinder operates the same way. I pressed the button once and the VDC shows to be off with the little "slippery when wet" light being on. So, I held the button and after 20 seconds or so, the light went off (which should indicate the VDC is on) and then would not allow any other functionality of the button until I killed the engine and restarted.
Any ideas? It would indicate the VDC is locked permanently on since the light went off. I'm curious as to what mode this actually places the vehicle. The owners manual has no information and so far, a Google search turns up nothing.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:15 am

VDC only turns off VDC. I don't think you can turn off traction control unless you pull a fuse.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:45 am

From the owner's manual:

"The vehicle should be driven with the dynamic control system (VDC) on for most driving conditions.
If the vehicle is stuck in mud or snow, the VDC systems reduces the engine output to reduce wheel spin. The engine speed will be reduced even if the accellerator is depressed to the floor. If maximum engine power is needed to free a stuck vehicle, turn the VDC system off.
To turn off the VDC system, push the VDC OFF switch. The VDC OFF indicator will come on.
Push the VDC OFF switch again or restart the engine to turn ON the system."

There's more info on the system in the owner's manual in the "Starting and Driving" section.

Barjrob1972

Postby Barjrob1972 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:46 am

Thank you for your responses but possibly my post was not clear. I am aware of what VDC does but my query was to long pressing the VDC button. It turns off the light and disables the VDC control button completely until the engine is restarted, something not addressed anywhere. I was just curious if anyone had any insight to what this function does?
I am now thinking it defaults to "VDC on" and the button is disabled in the event something inadvertently presses up against the button and holds it, so the computer disables functionality. Until I discover different, I'm just going to go with this theory. :D

sunpro2010

Postby sunpro2010 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:52 am

Did you try spinning the tires after holding the button for the 20 sec.? as you know the motor will bog down if the VDC is ingaged. If it is not you will have full power. :twisted:

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”