4x4 Issues aftrer trans job

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

khaosduke

4x4 Issues aftrer trans job

Postby khaosduke » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:57 pm

Months ago I had the transmission rebuilt and right after this I've had 4x4 issues.

I took it back to the shop and they are having a difficult time finding the problem.

The 4WD drive light comes on soon after putting it into 4 Auto or 4 Hi, or the image might show the front wheels disengaged (like it does under 2wd).

I'm pretty sure it's an electrical connection issue, I took it back in and they cleaned up the connections and it got a little better but went right back to problems.

I did the self diagnosis and came up with 4 things:

11&12 lights, Clutch and Line Pressure switches

22&23: VDC Operation signal, TCS operation signal.

I've checked the transfer case relay and it seems to be operating fine.

Is there something I mention to the shop as to the direction to look here? Maybe you guys know something I don't or the shop.

Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:03 pm

Is this a standard transfer case or do you have an LE with an "AUTO" mode transfer case?

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:10 am

LE with Auto

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:45 am

Having the clutch pressure switch and line pressure switch codes on simultaneously is often due to low fluid pressure. The "AUTO" mode transfer case uses two pumps, a mechanical pump and an electric pump, which is called a "transfer motor" and is needed to build up pressure for the wet clutch during idle, speeds below 35 mph and reverse. You already mentioned to checked the transfer relay, which as you know, is located near the brake booster in the engine compartment.
I had a similar problem where intermittently the 4WD warning light would come on at idle or reverse, sometimes losing the 4WD display on the cluster and I would get codes for the clutch pressure and line pressure switches; I have the transfer case in "AUTO" mode almost all of the time.
You don't see much about this problem on the Pathfinder boards, because only the LE models are prone to it, but it is a problem that can be found on the Armada forums, which also have the "AUTO" mode transfer case. It seems the connections in the harness connector for the transfer motor relay get loose and cause and intermittent connection, which causes the transfer pump to stop working and insufficient fluid pressure at idle/speeds below 35mph/reverse and the pressure switches to trigger the codes.
While some have corrected the problem with a new relay, I don't think that's the problem. Rather, it's a weak contact between the spades on the transfer motor relay and the terminals inside the harness connector. The spades on my transfer motor relay were clean, but I scuffed them up a little just for the hell of it. I then used a very small screwdriver to "tweak" the terminals inside the harness connector so they would apply more tension to the spades of the relay. After doing that and erasing the codes, I haven't had a single problem with the transfer case and it's been 4 months (the problem had been going on for a year before that). This is great new because I was thinking that the transfer motor had failed, which is $800 for the part!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:54 pm

Good find smj.

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:40 pm

Alright, I'll go into the harness and twist he contacts to put more tension on the spade connections.

Now, I have noticed, suppose I have it in 2wd not AUTO. the chances of the light coming on below 35 is much higher than above say 40. If I put it into Auto it will come on much quicker, but truthfully I'm not keeping to close a track of the exact speed that causes the 4wd light to come on (or just the display to take off the top front wheels)

I've tried this experiment...

With someone with their finger on the relay to feel the click, if I put it into reverse it'll click on but not always. If I switch to Auto or 4HI, same thing. I expected a more consistent tripping of the relay. However I don't know the exact algorithm the computer is using to trip it.

If I keep driving eventually things resets itself and appears fine. I will try the suggestion to apply more tension to the spades.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:02 pm

It's worth a shot and it doesn't cost anything to try it, so you got nothing to lose. Hope it works!

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:27 am

I took the relay out and tried to tension up the contacts and scuff them on the relay.

I don't seem to see realize a difference. However I've been driving it in Auto all the time now just to see if I can find a pattern.

The chances of the 4WD coming on at higher speeds (above 40) is much much lower than almost guaranteed to come on at lower speeds.

The light will clear up on it's own without any intervention. If the light comes on or the cluster image changes; after just driving again near or above 40 will cause it to "recover" and the light shuts off , cluster image returns to normal.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:05 pm

That's what mine was doing before tightening up the terminals in the transfer motor relay. It could be the relay itself is acting up or possibly the transfer motor, but I'm yet to hear of anyone having a transfer motor fail (which is good because they are $800). I guess if the problem occurs on a somewhat regular basis, you could jump the wires of the transfer motor relay harness connector so power is fed to the transfer motor at all times to see what happens. If the pressure switch codes return with the transfer motor running, I would lean in the direction of the transfer motor is not putting out sufficient pressure or losing pressure as it runs.

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:51 pm

I was going to ask, if it would be any harm in jumping the wires on the load side of the relay harness. So essentially the transfer motor is always running. If I stay below 40 mph?

Would jumping it cause any other codes?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:00 pm

It should be fine for testing purposes, but I wouldn't leave it jumped in lieu of fixing the problem. If tightening the terminals didn't help, perhaps the relay is intermittently failing. This is why I suggested jumping the relay in the first place, to make sure the transfer pump isn't faulty. If the transfer pump is faulty, then leaving the circuit jumped isn't going to do you any good, anyway.

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:22 pm

I don't know if I did something wrong or not but. I had the car off, I jumped the terminals and the transfer motor immediately came on. So I decided to jump it with the car on. This tripped the 4wd light.

When I removed the jump and restart the vehicle everything was back to normal.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”