Transmission

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

cabinpath

Transmission

Postby cabinpath » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Well my beloved 2008 pathfinder has 71k on it now.

I want to prevent the option of SMOD as I am getting close to the point where Nissan will charge me if it happens, right?

So I believe it is "up to 8 years"... So when is that exactly for me?

My model year is 2008 so 2016? or does it go by when it was really made/put on the road?

While on the topic - I was told I have the following options when it comes with preventing SMOD:

1. by pass (not too keen on it)
2. new radiator
3. This exterior radiator thing (not sure how it is called) that is like a by pass but with it's own radiator...

any thoughts on 2 vs 3?

Is there any other thing I can do?

the only thing that broke on my car since I got it a little over a year and a half ago was the clock spring...

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:46 pm

With the miles that you have I would just invest in a new radiator.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:51 pm

All warranties are based on when the vehicle was first put into service aka when the original owner bought it. Worst case you go by the build plate but any Nissan dealer (or Carfax) can give you the in-service date.

I did option 2 around 80k miles. Just seemed like the best plan and it really wasn't that expensive.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:13 pm

I don't know what you mean by the #3 option of an external radiator. If you're not keen on the bypass, then it just makes sense to replace the radiator. If you want an original-style, plastic tank radiator, there are many options under $100 available on E-bay. If you want to upgrade to an all-aluminum radiator, Stillen is selling them for $350.

FirstIn

Postby FirstIn » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:15 am

I also replaced my radiator at about 80K miles. If you go this route, check on Amazon's Warehouse deals store. I got a Spectra Premium radiator for $20 because it was an open box item. The radiator itself was in perfect condition and it has been working great!

cabinpath

Postby cabinpath » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:42 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I agree. Why wait .... I'll take care of it asap

In regard to option 3 - excuse my limited car knowledge , my mechanic said that he can install this additional smaller radiator that will then only serve the transmission while the original will only serve the cooling fluid... Makes sense ? Anyone heard of it ?

I might give him a call to verify

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:34 am

cabinpath wrote:Thanks for the help guys. I agree. Why wait .... I'll take care of it asap

In regard to option 3 - excuse my limited car knowledge , my mechanic said that he can install this additional smaller radiator that will then only serve the transmission while the original will only serve the cooling fluid... Makes sense ? Anyone heard of it ?

He's talking about adding an external cooler for the transmission. The Pathfinder already has one of these but the fluid goes through the engine radiator first and then through the external transmission cooler. When you do option 1, it just bypasses the engine radiator part and runs the coolant straight through the external cooler. This is probably perfectly adequate and many have done just that with no problems.

If you wanted to bypass the radiator permanently, an additional external cooler wouldn't be a bad idea. It probably isn't necessary except in extreme circumstances, but besides adding some additional non-factory fittings into the mix, it probably wouldn't hurt.

I'm a bit anal about leaving things the way the manufacturer designed them, so I replaced the radiator and moved on with everything stock.

cabinpath

Postby cabinpath » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:45 am

I like your train of thought.. Why mess with a design? just replace the radiator.

Any recommendations on a good radiator? what are my options?
skinny2 wrote:
cabinpath wrote:Thanks for the help guys. I agree. Why wait .... I'll take care of it asap

He's talking about adding an external cooler for the transmission. The Pathfinder already has one of these but the fluid goes through the engine radiator first and then through the external transmission cooler. When you do option 1, it just bypasses the engine radiator part and runs the coolant straight through the external cooler. This is probably perfectly adequate and many have done just that with no problems.

If you wanted to bypass the radiator permanently, an additional external cooler wouldn't be a bad idea. It probably isn't necessary except in extreme circumstances, but besides adding some additional non-factory fittings into the mix, it probably wouldn't hurt.

I'm a bit anal about leaving things the way the manufacturer designed them, so I replaced the radiator and moved on with everything stock.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:34 pm

[quote="cabinpath"]I like your train of thought.. Why mess with a design? just replace the radiator.

Any recommendations on a good radiator? what are my options?

[/quote="cabinpath"]

Like I said, I'm a stickler for OEM so that's what I used. Lots of posts around here of people having good luck with $100 aftermarkets though. Spectra is one brand I've seen listed as working fine.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”