Engine Oil, ATF, T/Case Oil, Diff Oil

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

patomwazi

Engine Oil, ATF, T/Case Oil, Diff Oil

Postby patomwazi » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:49 am

apart from the usual oil and filter service, i want to drain out and change the ATF, T/case and Diff oil and want to switch to synthetics while at it..since i have been quite alot in the sand with this gal...but, and according to the dealer here ATF, Diff and T/case dont use the same fluid/oil....and yes as you guessed it...they dont retail even replacement you have to go to their workshop to get ATF, Diff and T/case oil changed or topped up...speaking to my mech he said he just bangs in whatever is on the shelf, only today after speaking and making calls did he realize that Nissan specifies the oils are different...

pls advice.....

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:21 am

ATF and transfer case takes the same oil. Nissan Matic S ATF. Do a search on the forums for transmission fluid. Alternatives has been discussed before.

Front diff takes 80w90 GL-5 (1.75pt)

Rear Diff takes 75w90 GL-5 (3pt)

All this is in the car's manual, section 9-2.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:42 am

The rear diff oil is synthetic from the factory. You can use synthetic 75W90 in both the front and rear diffs. The transfer case actually only specifies Nissanmatic "D" or Dexron III/Mercon. The trans specifies Nissanmatic "J," which is actually made by Castrol and is the same as Castrol Transmax J and Castrol Transmax Import Multi-vehicle, which can also be used on the transfer case, if you wish. Nissanmatic "S" is actually Type "J" with added friction modifiers, developed for the 7-speed auto trans in the Infiniti trucks, and replacing Type "J." Aftermarket auto trans fluid with "JASO-A1" specification will work in Type "J" application; just make sure it says it's recommended for use in Nissanmatic Type "J" and/or Type "S" applications. Personally, I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF in both the transmission and transfer case in two R51s and have had no issues.

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:27 pm

Thanks again..

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”