09 Pathfinder - 40 mph shutter

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Spank09PathSE

09 Pathfinder - 40 mph shutter

Postby Spank09PathSE » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:10 am

Gents,

Been a while since I posted on here but wanted to get your thoughts on an issue I am having.

09 pathfinder. 102,000 miles. About 3 weeks ago, my wife noticed that it developed a shutter right at 40 mph. As soon as it goes to like 41 mph, its gone. Its worse in OD than in 4th gear. My background is telling me that it is something to do with the lock up feature on torque converter but I was going to try a trans flush and filter change 1st.

BTW, when we 1st bought it in 2012, I verified that there was no antifreeze/trans fluid mix and did the radiator trans cooler bypass back then.

Has anyone else had this and remedied the issue doing a flush and filter change?

Other than that shutter, shifts smooth, no loss of power, nothing.

Thanks guys!

Chris

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:44 am

I'd probably look at u-joints before getting too excited.

Spank09PathSE

Postby Spank09PathSE » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:06 am

I thought that too. Figured it may be some sort of resonation but I don't hear the disernable clunk when going from drive to reverse and back.

I will double check them to make sure.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:45 pm

From what I've seen around here, they don't usually clunk but cause vibration. So far mine are fine at 130k but I've had some vibrations come and go over the years. It's a truck and it makes that clear.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:29 am

If it's 4WD, make sure you still check the front shaft U-joints even if it happens in 2WD, because even in 2WD, the front driveshaft still turns while the vehicle is driven.
The trans has a screen rather than a filter and there really is not need to change it. If there is enough debris in the trans fluid to clog the screen, then you don't need a service, you need an overhaul. Also, a shudder isn't a common symptom of a clogged trans filter, which would cause a drop in line pressure and subsequently slipping and eventually no engagement at all once the pressure drops to nothing. A drain and fill or a flush certainly won't hurt as long as you use the proper type ATF, which includes Nissanmatic Type "J" or "S," Castrol Transmax J or Castrol Transmax Import Multi-vehicle and Valvoline Maxlife ATF, among several others.

Spank09PathSE

Postby Spank09PathSE » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:46 am

smj,

It is in fact 4WD. I will definitely check the u joints on both driveshafts. When I say shutter, it almost feels like a vibration like a tire is out of balance too. When it happens, I don't notice any RPM change. Its most prominent when there isnt a heavy engine load. Just cruising on level right @ 40 mph; it rears its ugly head.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:59 am

I had the exact same thing happen when my rear u-joint seized. And it looked fine until I dropped the driveshaft, and realized that it was actually seized, not that the u-joint was worn or exhibited excessive play.

Spank09PathSE

Postby Spank09PathSE » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:10 am

Seems like a pattern here with possibility of the u joints. Definitely going to take a look and see what I can find.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:55 am

Mine was doing the same thing. I was blaming it on the Nitto tires until I grabbed the front driveshaft and noticed play in the front shaft rear U-joint. Turned out there was no grease in it and the roller bearings were destroyed.

eagpinnacle

shudder at 40 mph also

Postby eagpinnacle » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:22 am

I just picked up an 06 Pathfinder SE and I have this 40 MPH shudder.

I also have a shudder in reverse at low RPM. My O/D button does nothing. The light in the dash works as its lit upon starting the ignition but pressing does nothing.

Is there a fix to this? Will a flush and bypass fix the shudder? Any insight to the O/D button fix?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: shudder at 40 mph also

Postby eieio » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:02 am

eagpinnacle wrote:I just picked up an 06 Pathfinder SE and I have this 40 MPH shudder.

I also have a shudder in reverse at low RPM. My O/D button does nothing. The light in the dash works as its lit upon starting the ignition but pressing does nothing.

Is there a fix to this? Will a flush and bypass fix the shudder? Any insight to the O/D button fix?
first, you need to find out if your trans fluid is contaminated with coolant
if it is, it will have a "milkshake" appearance to it
how many miles on the truck?

eagpinnacle

Postby eagpinnacle » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:52 pm

103k miles on the truck. Checked the trans fluid and it doesn't look at all like milk shake on the dip stick but it just the dip stick.

If not fluid contamination then what else could it be?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:21 pm

eagpinnacle wrote:103k miles on the truck. Checked the trans fluid and it doesn't look at all like milk shake on the dip stick but it just the dip stick.

If not fluid contamination then what else could it be?
hard to say, but we don't know much about your truck (yet)
was this not evident to you before you before you bought it?
or maybe you just didn't notice it at that time?
do you know if the trans fluid was changed before you bought it?
incorrect fluid can cause trouble
do you know if the internal transmission cooler in the bottom of the radiator has been by-passed?
so many questions..................

eagpinnacle

Postby eagpinnacle » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:45 pm

Test drive before purchase didn't indicate any transmission issues. All gears engaged normally and she shifted well through all gears. I did not get it up to overdrive speed though.

I'm almost certain that there is no trans fluid bypass although that is not confirmed.

according to the maintenance records that I do have (I'm sure it's incomplete) the trans fluid and screen have not been serviced.

The same day I brought her home the heater control valve failed and leaked a lot of coolant. It didn't overheat but it did get hotter than it normally would on the way home. The faulty part was fixed the next day.

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:05 pm

This sounds eerily similar to the issues I was having. 60kph shudder that felt like driving over the rumble strips. It was only every once and again and it took us 3 weeks of ownership and a long distance trip to notice that the car had transmission problems.

For me it ended up being the dreaded coolant leak problem. We tried the bypass and flushing out the trans several times, but that didn't solve it.
I picked the car up today after Nissan swapped in a brand new transmission. Go to the dealer NOW, and have them inspect it. There is an extended warranty program in effect for this issue and with your mileage I believe it is a free repair.

My total bill was $9800, and I only paid a portion of that, because my mileage is higher than yours.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”