Auto box is confused? so am I!

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

BERGS2

Auto box is confused? so am I!

Postby BERGS2 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:33 am

Hi Guys - wondering if anyone can help with an odd problem that i'm struggling to diagnose on my 2005 4.0.

Basically it initially lost engagement in reverse - it behaved much like it had been left in neutral (slightly worrying - as was trying to park on a hill at the time) Then seemed fine in drive, until i got to my destination & tried to do a three point turn - again - no reverse, but also no drive.... bugger.

Managed to roll into a parking space and killed the motor - then trying to restart - it was almost as if it thought it was still in 'D' (wouldn't turn over)

Also - slightly oddly the camera comes on and the mirrors dip as if it were still in reverse when trying to start it in 'P'

Have got it booked in the shop later this week - but wanted to see if this was something that has been experienced before in pathfinders?

& also if i need to prep myself for the potential of a sizable bill...

Cheers y'all

BERGS2

minutericesentra

RE: Auto box is confused? so am I!

Postby minutericesentra » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:51 pm

Did you ever figure out what the issue was with your transmission?
I've recently lost reverse!

Thanks!

labsy

Postby labsy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:32 pm

I'd check AT fluid level first.

If it's Ok, then I'd perform stall test:
with warmed up vehicle, after a drive or so, park it, engage parking brake, keep pressing brake pedal so it does NOT move and apply gas gradually. The engine revolutions should not exceed 2700-3100 RPM when adding gas.
NOTE: This test should NOT LAST MORE THAN 5 SECONDS! Read the stall RPM and release gas pedal. Let the engine idle for at least 1 minute afterwards to cool ATF down.

If stall test fails (meaning, you get to higher RPM), then most probably wrong AT fluid, or your torque converter is failing. Or million other things, but those are most common.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”