SES flashes

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

lebanesepathy

SES flashes

Postby lebanesepathy » Fri May 01, 2015 2:45 am

My ses light flashes past 2k rpm and then goes off.
The light was on with codes for both cat converters and u1000. And i shiould mention that the previous owner drilled wholes (edit:holes*) in the main exhaust and the two (what i believe called) three way catalyst converter mainfold.

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Fri May 01, 2015 3:14 pm

It may be that the engine is picking up on the emissions from the holes. I had a similar issue with mine when I go it. Out of curiosity, do you know why the holes were drilled?

Edit: From my understanding, the SES light flashing indicates a problem with random misfiring which could damage the catalytic converter. That may be a factor here. Do you ever have any pinging or sudden power dip during acceleration?

If you do, you may want to look at one of your spark plugs and see where they are at.

Otherwise, like I mentioned above, this may be an emissions issue.

lebanesepathy

Postby lebanesepathy » Sat May 02, 2015 3:38 am

SimulatedZero wrote:It may be that the engine is picking up on the emissions from the holes. I had a similar issue with mine when I go it. Out of curiosity, do you know why the holes were drilled?

Edit: From my understanding, the SES light flashing indicates a problem with random misfiring which could damage the catalytic converter. That may be a factor here. Do you ever have any pinging or sudden power dip during acceleration?

If you do, you may want to look at one of your spark plugs and see where they are at.

The holes in the cats are a fix. And the ones in the exhaust are to improve the sound.

alecsey

Postby alecsey » Mon May 18, 2015 6:15 pm

My understanding is that one should not let SES light blink (indicating random misfire) as the cat(s) may get flooded with gasoline, burn up and melt the core. It is my understanding that a catalytic converter's core may melt within 8 seconds if the engine is flooding it with gasoline. I think once SES light is flashing you should consider towing the car -- not driving it.
lebanesepathy wrote:
SimulatedZero wrote:It may be that the engine is picking up on the emissions from the holes. I had a similar issue with mine when I go it. Out of curiosity, do you know why the holes were drilled?

The holes in the cats are a fix. And the ones in the exhaust are to improve the sound.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon May 18, 2015 7:09 pm

Flashing check engine lights mean there is a failure that can be detrimental to the catalytic converter. Most of the time, the failure is caused by an ignition misfire, i.e. bad plug(s), coil pack(s)....

lebanesepathy

Postby lebanesepathy » Mon May 18, 2015 11:00 pm

But i never felt a missfire, it runs very smoothly. Though its draining gas like a v8.

lebanesepathy

Postby lebanesepathy » Tue May 19, 2015 2:36 pm

lebanesepathy wrote:But i never felt a missfire, it runs very smoothly. Though its draining gas like a v8.

I should mention that it's all uphills driving with low speeds and a heavy foot, and daily trips barely exceed 5-7 miles.(worst combination ever) i hardly get 11 mpg in real. It sows 13.4 on the dashboard never higher thouh it used to reach up to 17-18 on 50mph on 30 miles trips

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”