New u joints. still have vibration

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

dawgn86

New u joints. still have vibration

Postby dawgn86 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:04 pm

2006 v6. 140k. Had a slight vibration around 55-60 mph. Marked drive shaft took it off and replaced front a rear u joints. Lined up drive shaft with the marks and rumble/vibration has increased

Any suggestions

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: New u joints. still have vibration

Postby eieio » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:35 pm

dawgn86 wrote:2006 v6. 140k. Had a slight vibration around 55-60 mph. Marked drive shaft took it off and replaced front a rear u joints. Lined up drive shaft with the marks and rumble/vibration has increased

Any suggestions
2WD or 4WD?
wheel bearings OK?
driveshaft out of balance?
anything unusual about the u-joint replacement?

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:23 am

smj

2wd
jacked up all 4 sides and checked for play or looseness..none

marked driveshaft...came out easily...marked yokes...pressed out old u joints and replaced both front and back...both operated smoothly..replaced driveshaft, aligned marks and test drove....

I have no way to know about if the driveshaft is balanced or not; I guess I am going to have to take it to a drive shaft shop

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:49 pm

I went through this. Ended up being a bent driveshaft...

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:33 am

quick question:

when pressing the bearing caps back onto the ujoints, shoud you press them in enough to bottom out against the end of the joint, or just enough to put the E clip back into the grooves?

labsy

Postby labsy » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:21 pm

dawgn86 wrote:quick question:

when pressing the bearing caps back onto the ujoints, shoud you press them in enough to bottom out against the end of the joint, or just enough to put the E clip back into the grooves?
I guess it's the second - just enough to get the retaining E-clip back in. The center X-piece should sit quite firmly, maybe more tight as you want, but certainly not as loose to have any play.
Also the seals should visibly seat perfectly on center X-section's legs, just to the seal groove, not having any visible room left to go further.

Did you press the caps back in properly, I mean, maybe one of needle rollers fetl or or were crushed during assembly?
Or you might mistakenly turn jog (pinon gear side) by 180 degrees when reassembling?
Just my guesses.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:20 am

Lab

thought of all that and removed the driveshaft and pressed out the new ujoints..looked like 2 had needle bearings that fell down during assemble and got broke.

Went to O'Reillys and got 2 news ones and redone the job being extra careful when reassembling...lots better now but still some vibration. I may try turning the shaft 180' at the differential and see if that helps.

labsy

Postby labsy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:38 pm

I'm about to do the same on front u-joint too, so I am curious about your results. Actually except of rotating pinon-side joint part 180 degrees and the whole shaft 180 degrees, like you will do...I am out of ideas.

BTW...I am not sure if this driveshaft can be phased front to rear or not. I mena...is it in two pieces, so you could get front u-joint out of alignment against rear u-joint? This can be source of vibrations very often!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”