Limp Mode i think ive tried everything

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

toyotakid

Limp Mode i think ive tried everything

Postby toyotakid » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:52 pm

Hi
had my 2007 2.5 Aventura since 2008
113000 miles
had new clutch injectors flywheel at 35000miles
new egr valve at 100000
new cam chain at 105000

running a chip to increase torque for the last 50k
changed chip in last 2k
before chip I was getting 27mpg
I now get plus 35mpg better acceleration smoother running etc
car is very responsive and runs very well up to about 3200 rpm

recently when hard accelerating it smokes like a dirty diesel (no oil used )
and goes into limp mode if hard acceleration at about 3500rpm
switching off ignition and then restarting cures it

I can rev it over 3500 to over 4000 if I do it slowly
I have blocked off the egr valve now
running 300ml mineral two stroke in a full tank
new fuel filter fitted
new air filter fitted
ive tried this with and without the chip connected
bit of oil around the turbo area
any one got any clues what to try next

labsy

Postby labsy » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Might be something with air intake:
- do you have "sport" air filter? This has lower suction resistance which has influence on air flow, of course. If this is the case, try temporary mod by wrapping few layers of kitchen napa filter around sport filter cone just to make it harder to suck air in and see if it helps.
- did you mod your mass air flow sensor (MAF)? Relocate it or something? Might be related to sensing air flow.
- is your chip tuning one of those cheap-tunings, which connect to MAF sensor and all they have is variable resistor or potentiometer? Get rid of it, it will clog up your engine by time.

To do some self diagnosis, you can go with hardcore analogue reading of light blinks to read diagnostic trouble codes DTC...
...or you can buy cheap ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 adapter for 5 US$ or something on eBay or Amazon, connect it to your iPhone or Android and read DTC with one of many free programs for your smartphone.
Then google for exact DTC code and it might lead you to problem source.

All above mentioned problems WILL push you into limp mode! And there are many more tunning approaches which will trigger limp mode, too :)

toyotakid

Postby toyotakid » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:01 pm

Hi
Used to be a k&n filter
But swapped it for a standard filter now
And it runs better on the standard filter
Not altered the MAF but I'm going to clean it today
Yes 40 quid chip off eBay but tbh it works well in terms of economy
I used to have a more expensive one that I had on for approx 60k miles and that also worked well
Should I ditch this type and get it properly mapped ?
Seemed to be a little oil in the big breather pipe that comes out the top of the turbo but turbo spins up ok
Fuel wise without chip I was getting 27 ish mpg if I was lucky normally about 23
I'm now averaging over 35 mpg with loads more power
Got a chip reader will stick it in today and go for a drive
Will stick my findings on here

labsy

Postby labsy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:49 pm

With chip "tuning" device, attached to MAF sensor, I've got better mileage, too... but limp mode under heavier load or when overtaking uphill, very dangerous.
But in my case I've got absolutelly no power increase, maybe because I have diesel and you have gas engine, dunno.

ELM327 OBD2 reader apparently read out power and torque surprisingly accurate, before chip tuning and after, being hand in hand with tuner's dyno tests.
I've gained additional 10-15 horse power when adding HHO injection kit....but those horses did not go away when HHO was disconnected, so I assume it was due to cleaning the engine with water vapours and hydrogen. Just my guess.

With conical air filter engine roar become more obvious, like an angry elephant, which I quite like :)

Regarding some oil in breather from engine valves cover to turbo intake, it's quite normal or say by design and purpose. A bit oily vapours from under valve cover get sucked by vacuum from turbo, which is designed to be so. Only be alert if those vapours turn into oil waterfall, which would not only clog your intercooler, but indicate some problems with your cylinder rings or valves. Compression testing cylinders will reveal problems like this.

toyotakid

Postby toyotakid » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:34 pm

Hi
Think I found the problem
Mine is a r51 2.5d by the way not petrol

I bought about 5 months ago a ds tuning gadget from Germany off eBay for about 40 quid this gave me loads of extra horse power this was put on straight after a Terraclean ( which gave me more mpg too )
Apart from the extra hp the tuning box gave me up to 37 mpg average
And up to 48 on a long run
4 months on the problems started with limp mode
So thus the change of filters air and diesel
and 2 stroke oil in my diesel
egr blanking (£3) and (5 mins to fit ) etc all work well especially the 2 stroke it's a lot smoother
Although this made it slightly better and even more hp and less smoke it would still limp if pushed hard
Yesterday I changed my chip box back to my old one which I had been using for some time
This one has multiple settings and can be turned on and off etc etc
I used to run it on a moderate setting 5 out of 9
I set it yesterday on 9 ( never ran it before on 9 )
A lot more power than the ds tuning box
Less smoke than the ds box
And no limp mode even round to 4000rpm
Acceleration quicker
And mpg steady at 35.5
So conclusion to me so far is
Do not buy the ds cheap tuning boxes
Spend money on getting a decent box

Feel happy with the car now
Will still check out the MAF/MAS sensor and oil around the turbo at the weekend and give it an oil change too
Next will be rear suspension change as even though it's a2007 aventura she's a little bouncy
Any recommendations ?
Ohh yeah and sort the body work as some local dick put me some lovely scratches on it

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”