Vibrations

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

car_bore

Vibrations

Postby car_bore » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:55 pm

Hey guys,

I have this vibration at exactly 85 mph and above. I rarely hit those kind of speed unless the road is empty and during the night only that is why I ignore the vibrations. Is this something I should be worried about? If I continue ignoring it, will it have a long term effect on the car? What could be causing the vibrations?

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:49 pm

With it vibrating only at a certain MPH and up makes me think it is a tire balance issue. First thing I would recommend is have a shop rebalance your tires. I used to work in a shop and pretty much any kind of vibration that you get after 65+MPH is caused by Balancing or a problem with your tires.

Sometimes a tire might have a knot in it or your tires could be wore irregular due to something wrong with your suspension.
I think it'll be just something simple like a balance.

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:57 pm

porksoda wrote:With it vibrating only at a certain MPH and up makes me think it is a tire balance issue. First thing I would recommend is have a shop rebalance your tires. I used to work in a shop and pretty much any kind of vibration that you get after 65+MPH is caused by Balancing or a problem with your tires.

Sometimes a tire might have a knot in it or your tires could be wore irregular due to something wrong with your suspension.
I think it'll be just something simple like a balance.
Thank you for your reply.

I already had my pf wheel balanced, and everything "seems" to be fine. All four tires are also brand new but I've played with the tire pressure as to improve my mpg. I'm not sure if all tires are pumped up the same pressure, but could uneven tire pressure cause a vibration?

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:10 pm

That seems very strange then. I am unsure on what the problem could be. Maybe loose front end suspension parts also. You might try to get an alignment done to make sure that is not the issue. I dunno if the tire pressures would cause that much of a vibration at higher speeds. I would just take the vehicle to a shop you trust and have them look over the suspension and tires on the vehicle. I worked at Sears Auto and they do front end evaluation for free. So if you have one of those places near you that'll be something good to check out. Get it looked at now before it gets worse. One loose part can cause problems with the other suspension parts and make things very expensive.

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:49 pm

porksoda wrote:That seems very strange then. I am unsure on what the problem could be. Maybe loose front end suspension parts also. You might try to get an alignment done to make sure that is not the issue. I dunno if the tire pressures would cause that much of a vibration at higher speeds. I would just take the vehicle to a shop you trust and have them look over the suspension and tires on the vehicle. I worked at Sears Auto and they do front end evaluation for free. So if you have one of those places near you that'll be something good to check out. Get it looked at now before it gets worse. One loose part can cause problems with the other suspension parts and make things very expensive.
Thanks.

I was reading something about U-Joints, and from what Ive read, this may cause vibrations if the u joints are worn out. I might check on those too.

labsy

Postby labsy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:27 am

Well, propeller shafts U-Joints are common source of vibration and they can ruin your drivetrain if not serviced. Repair is fairly simple.
You can also check quickly all 4 of them by hand...only front shaft is not accessible easy, so you need to take off plastic protecting plate, few 12mm bolts and that's it. 10 minutes to check all 4 U-joints for possible play.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”