Timing Chain service costs?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

porksoda

Timing Chain service costs?

Postby porksoda » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:36 pm

Well I am under the assumption that my Pathfinder needs its Timing chain guides replaces because of the whining sound when accelerating.

My vehicle is currently at 97,767 miles so according to my local Nissan dealer they said Nissan recommends replacing the timing chains at 110,000 miles. So I am assuming I am close enough to mileage and I am making the noise anyways.

The cost that they quoted me was $750 to do the following:
Timing chains, Guides, anything else dealing with timing chain, water pump, drive belts, oil change, coolant exchange.
They told me that the $750 is out the door price including parts, labor, and taxes.

Does that seem about right to do this service?

Thanks for any advice!

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:02 am

If my dealer would do mine for that I would let him

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:27 am

I think their estimate is too low, and I can't see that happening per that estimate.
We've seen figures of approximately $1200.00 for the chain & guides, not including pump & belt.
But, if you get a good job at that amount, more power to you.
(key words - "a good job")

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:36 am

Nissan does not have a recommended service interval for timing chain replacement, so that part is B.S. As far as the $750 estimate, that's dirt cheap and about half the price of what it should cost. You better get it in writing!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:07 pm

smj999smj wrote: Nissan does not have a recommended service interval for timing chain replacement, so that part is B.S. As far as the $750 estimate, that's dirt cheap and about half the price of what it should cost. You better get it in writing!
oh, I missed that part, glad you noticed it and brought it up - very important
that would make me all the more reluctant to do business with that dealer

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:12 pm

It may have just been a service writer that didn't know what he was talking about...perhaps thinking about the 105,000 mile interval on timing belt engines. Having worked for several dealers, I've met my share of service writers and managers that knew little to nothing about auto mechanics outside of how to code a ticket, and some couldn't even do that!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:53 pm

smj999smj wrote:It may have just been a service writer that didn't know what he was talking about...perhaps thinking about the 105,000 mile interval on timing belt engines. Having worked for several dealers, I've met my share of service writers and managers that knew little to nothing about auto mechanics outside of how to code a ticket, and some couldn't even do that!
I hear that! :roll:
It sure doesn't inspire much customer confidence (assuming the customer knows the difference). :)

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:51 pm

Well this makes me curious then. I am going to go back to the dealership tomorrow and get a printed quote.

At this Nissan dealership they had a board with prices for all the different services like fluid changes and other things.
On that board said Nissan 6 cylinder Timing Chain $750 and under that said Nissan 4 cylinder Timing Chain $450.

The service manager was telling me that this is a very common job.

Only think I can think of is he maybe was thinking of the wrong 6 cylinder.

Like maybe for a Altima or something.

I'll call tomorrow to make sure.

Thanks guys!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:46 pm

well then, I certainly hope that their technicians are more efficient than whoever you have spoken to thus far
i'm very curious to see where this goes

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:47 am

Well I just called and looks like he gave me a price for a V6 timing belt job.

They just confirmed with me that it'll cost around $1600.

What a bummer lol.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:51 am

im seriously thinking about doing mine myself. If I could find a step by step video showing me how to do it, I would.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:59 am

porksoda wrote:Well I just called and looks like he gave me a price for a V6 timing belt job.

They just confirmed with me that it'll cost around $1600.

What a bummer lol.
that is a bummer, but not a surprise at all
had you left your truck there with the original estimate for the work, they would have called you with the 2nd estimate
most people at that point would have said to go ahead and do it anyway

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:15 pm

dawgn86 wrote:im seriously thinking about doing mine myself. If I could find a step by step video showing me how to do it, I would.
There is a Nissan TSB that tells how to replace the upper chains and tensioner fit and gives the parts list. It also has pictures. You can download the TSB from the "knowledge base" section at NissanHelp.com. You will need the ring gear stopper tool unless you plan on removing the upper plenum and valve covers. It's not what I would consider an easy job for the typical DIY'er, but certainly doable. The hardest part of the job is getting to the rear bolt of the P/S pump bracket and separating the front cover to remove it, as well as the tedious job of scraping off the sealant.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”