Clicking/Clunking Front End:4WD freeze??

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

LesterB

Clicking/Clunking Front End:4WD freeze??

Postby LesterB » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:26 pm

A standard cry for help here. I have a clicking in my front end or transfer case. Happens driving straight, slightly less when turning right. Was intermittent, then constant. CV axles seem fine, some play at differential side, boots are good, no play at joint. Had one bad u-joint, needle bearings all turned to rust so replaced all four ($32 bucks well worth it to have grease fittings). Wheel bearings are good, just replaced one bad one, no play in any others. Quite a bit of play and noise driveshaft to transfer case. And the scary part; engaged 4wd, crept forward and wheels locked. Reversed fine, disengaged 4wd, moved forward, no lock. Re engaged in 4wdlow locked again, reversed a bit more, disengaged, moved forward. 4wdhigh one more time, moved forward, didn't lock. Went to 2wd, limped home clicking, faster with speed, and again, worse in left turns, better in right. The turn dependence changes are confusing with the cv axles seeming fine. I had quite a bit of wheelspin drivers side a couple days ago stuck in a mud hole, but pulled that cv axle and it appears ok. So, anybody have a similar issue solved? Front diff spider gears gone bad would be great. A locker replaces those, right? :)

LesterB

Postby LesterB » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:30 pm

Failed pinion mate shaft. One end slid out and chewed on the pinion gear a bit. Looks to still be functional, mostly cosmetic damage. Probably vibrate some. For most vehicles ring and pinion are about 200. 500 for the Pathfinder. Just the shaft is 50 bucks. Wild. If I knew a year ago what I know now, I would probably have bought the Discovery with the exposed wiring for 3 grand and used the other 7 or 8k, well, making it work... But I would have lockers!

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:08 pm

Wait so you have to replace ring and pinion?

LesterB

Postby LesterB » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:46 pm

I'm going to mark the teeth and see if any of the mating surface is eaten up, but if not I'll stick it back together and see if there's any terrible vibration. I'd rather not replace gears. I might just try another email to Lokka before reassembly though. It really is a perfect opportunity to go ahead with that install. It's just.. I almost made it out of the hole after putting a couple trees under the tires... I had to keep trying! The pair of ten year olds on four wheelers trying to pull me out sure got a kick out of it. First time getting mud on the roof... Ok, maybe it isn't Nissans fault. :roll:

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:23 am

Definitely time to get that Lokka. No more pinion mate shaft to worry about.

That sucks though man.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”