Transfer And Differential Fluids Please Check My Choice!

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

alecsey

Transfer And Differential Fluids Please Check My Choice!

Postby alecsey » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:25 pm

Hello,

I am ready to place an order for transfer and differential fluids but before I do can someone let me know if I made the right choice.

2006 Pathfinder LE 4L v6.

Thanks!

1. Transfer case fluid: Valvoline MaxLife fully syntetic Dexron / Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid (getting 4 quarts)

2. Front final drive: Valvoline High Performance gear oil 80W-90 Limited Slip (getting 2 quarts)

3. Rear final drive: Valvoline High Performance gear oil 80W-90 Limited Slip. (getting 1 quart) I know I am supposed to use 75w-90 oil, but this one should do either. Right?

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:36 pm

I use 75-90 synthetic in rear diff. It will take one and 2/3

Valvoline max life for transmission

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:50 pm

I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF in both the transmission and the transfer case. I use 75W90 full-synthetic gear oil in both the front and rear diffs, either Mobil One or Walmart's Syntech brand. There are also aluminum crush washers on the drain and fill plugs on the diffs and transfer case that Nissan recommends replacing; they are Nissan P/N: 11026-4N200. The copper crush washer used on the transmission drain plug (as well as the engine oil pan drain plug) is P/N: 11026-01M02.

LessThanZero

Postby LessThanZero » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:25 am

How often do you need to change the fluids in the front and read diff's? I know how to do the rear but what about the front?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:31 pm

LessThanZero wrote:How often do you need to change the fluids in the front and read diff's? I know how to do the rear but what about the front?
Servicing the front diff is no different than servicing the rear. How often really depends on how you drive it, or more important, the conditions on which you drive your vehicle. Your owner's manual has your scheduled service intervals, but I doubt they have an interval for the diffs under the "normal" service schedule. I do mine about every 50000-60000 miles, using synthetic in both the front and rear, but my driving is mostly highway and paved side roads. If you go off road a lot, especially in muddy conditions, you'll want to service them more often.

LessThanZero

Postby LessThanZero » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:06 pm

smj999smj wrote:
LessThanZero wrote:How often do you need to change the fluids in the front and read diff's? I know how to do the rear but what about the front?
Servicing the front diff is no different than servicing the rear. How often really depends on how you drive it, or more important, the conditions on which you drive your vehicle. Your owner's manual has your scheduled service intervals, but I doubt they have an interval for the diffs under the "normal" service schedule. I do mine about every 50000-60000 miles, using synthetic in both the front and rear, but my driving is mostly highway and paved side roads. If you go off road a lot, especially in muddy conditions, you'll want to service them more often.
Yeah, I have a 190,XXX on my 08 and I don't thing either the front or rear have been changed. That will be rectified tomorrow as I bought everything I need to change it today.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:13 am

Make sure you check the vent lines at the same time.

I drive a fair amount of gravel, and when checking my rear diff for an apparent leak, I found that the diff was actually under pressure. This was because the vent line was completely plugged with dirt.

I ended up running a new rubber hose to replace the plugged metal vent line, as there was no way to unplug it.

Once I rectified the pressure issue, my leak stopped.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”