First my timing chains... now my radiator

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

oreogaborio

First my timing chains... now my radiator

Postby oreogaborio » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:13 am

Did my timing chains last week (what a nightmare)... now that it's all back together, I have a leaky radiator. :x I'm wondering if it wasn't caused by a dropped tool or two during last weeks torture job. :?

Whelp, whatever the cause, it was leaking like a bastard so I just picked up a replacement from a local parts place (Bond Auto) for 150 bucks plus tax. They quoted me 187 + tax over the phone but the guy cut me a great deal. Along with it I picked up a t-stat, serpentine belt, brake light bulb and a couple gallons of antifreeze and it came to 235 out the door. Not bad at all if you ask me. Coulda done better online, but I need this truck back on the road ASAP and couldn't wait for shipping.

Anyway... just parked it back in the driveway and I'm about to go dive back into it. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:51 am

Had the same thing happen to me on my 2006 Toyota 4Runner. Changed out the water pump and next day the radiator sprung a leak! In my case I know it was a tool that fell on it as I was the one to drop it. Frankly I was glad after I looked at the radiator the areas I could not see were in rough shape.

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:03 pm

Yeah, I have a feeling it may have been a dropped tool, but then again, the crimp along the bottom seam looked like it was getting loose.

Either way, after 186k miles, it was probably time for it to get replaced anyway.

Anyway... She's all buttoned up, holding temp & holding water! Only took a couple of hours. :)

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”