Low Speed ticking or squealing

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Fofiddy

Low Speed ticking or squealing

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:45 pm

Anyone experiencing a low speed click/ticking noise? Seems to have just started a month ago when rolling around the parking lot I noticed a ticking almost as if I had a nail in my tire. The kicker is when I put it in reverse to back into a spot or up a driveway I get a coresponding sqeak/squealing noise. Less than 3k till I hit 60k.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Re: Low Speed ticking or squealing

Postby blink32 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:37 am

Fofiddy wrote:07 Moto Guzzi Griso
Is that new? I don't remember noticing that you had that before. You gotta post some pics somewhere.

Anyways I just noticed a similar noise. I had attributed it to a rock in the tire but now I'll have to investigate further.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:32 pm

Yup, the Guzzi is my new fair weather commuter/toy. I've had a serious stiffy for The Griso since it's concept form, which for once is less attractive than the actual production vehicle.

Going to the dealer down the street from my house as soon as I get out of work tomorrow morning. More to come...

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:06 pm

OK so, went to the new (to me) dealership to have them check out the noise. With in 45 min I had an answer and 50% of it fixed..
Forward ticking noise: Front Driveshaft
Reverse squealing/squeak: Rear driveshaft.

The front shaft was replaced before they even told me they looked at it. Hate to say it but I think I've found the only decent Nissan Dealership in CT :shock:
Just have to wait for the rear shaft to come in and I'll be running in silent mode again. Well except for the Stereo :twisted:

derrick

Postby derrick » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:59 am

nice to hear that you have found a decent dealer in CT,

care to share the name of the dealership, i may need to bring and ask them to check my pathy too.

btw im from Greenwich CT

Cheers,
derrick

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:37 pm

Fofiddy wrote:OK so, went to the new (to me) dealership to have them check out the noise. With in 45 min I had an answer and 50% of it fixed..
Forward ticking noise: Front Driveshaft
Reverse squealing/squeak: Rear driveshaft.

The front shaft was replaced before they even told me they looked at it. Hate to say it but I think I've found the only decent Nissan Dealership in CT :shock:
Just have to wait for the rear shaft to come in and I'll be running in silent mode again. Well except for the Stereo :twisted:
Did the dealership service rep tell what the problem was with the propellor shafts. I would have thought that if the U-joint bearings were shot that they would have just changed those out. Surprising that they didn't try to blame the wear on the OME lift.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:33 am

Welcome Derrick, I took it to Wilson Nissan in Torrington. I'm somewhat in the equipment maintenance sector so I'm especially critical of service departments. It'll probably be a haul for you (1.5hrs), but if it's a really good shop you'll be going less, sometimes it's worth a drive like that. Then again Greenwich is a pretty demanding area, I'd figure a dealership in an area like that should be on it's game.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:25 pm

OK so both shafts have been replaced and I'm glad to say a vibration at high speeds I was attributing to agressive tires was also being caused by the damaged shafts. Now I can understand people saying "well isn't that obvious" but I've owned vehicles that have had bad U joints and the noises were completely different. Glad I found a competant shop that could quickly diagnose and replace the defective compnent.

derrick

Postby derrick » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:21 am

Thanks for the welcome, 1.5 hrs is a bit far.

will try my luck on a nearby nissan dealership here in portchester NY,

and ill keep you posted if its agood one or not.

Cheers,
derrick

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”