Rear rotors and pads interesting discovery

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

labsy

Rear rotors and pads interesting discovery

Postby labsy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:10 pm

I have just replaced my rear rotors and pads, because old rotor on one side was cracked. 190.000 km (120k miles) and first rotors...no wonder they are totally out.

First advice on anyone who is doing this:
After such a mileage the inner handbrake shoes are almost certainly way over the acceptable, so change them, too. I didn't have them handy, so I must repeat the whole process again. Handbrake shoes were total disaster - on each side on shoe's friction bead plied off, and it was worn as hell.

Then about those hard-to-undo screws which hold brake assembly on wheel hub. How to loosen them? Simply hit the screw head few times with a solid hammer and they'll unscrew pretty easy with a strong pull of 17mm socket on a bit larger lever.

Then an interesting PROBLEM:
After I nicely mounted BREMBO rotors and pads, I went to test drive. Did a few easy brakes burn-in (braking from 80 to 10 mph, then driving for few minutes to cool brakes off, and repeat process 2-3 times) and went to coffee.
I checked discs temperature with digital thermometer gun (10 US$ eBay) and discovered, that one disk was at 50F, while the other at 120F. :shock:

To find out, whether he was hot due to brake PADS or handbrake SHOES, I pointed thermometer gun on disk friction surface and on rotor (on axis). Temperature on braking friction surface was considerably higher, so I knew, it was due to new braking PADS, which were struggling the rotor even when braked were not applied.

Returned to garage and put it apart. I greased those tiny metal pieces, which hold pads in place with special braking lube, but I was still not satisfied.
Pushed brake cylinder back and forth few times, but it was moving smoothly.

Hmmm...what could be the obvious reason?

Then HEUREKA - I looked at INDICATOR pin on one brake pad, which was fastened to brake pad and extruded from pad BACK surface for about 1 mm. I found another PIN on pads back, which also raises out for 1mm:
So when I put the upper part of brake assembly on, those 2 pins just touched the pulling lever of brake assembly, which then pulled pads a bit angled.
Took out the other pad from inner side, and saw, that this pad does NOT have those pins.

As the inner side is pushed by CYLINDER, and the outer pad by FLAT LEVERS, I just exchanged inner for outer pad and they sit just perfect.

Did a test drive and both, left and right rotors had just the same temperature :) [/url]

dano99

Postby dano99 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:35 am

Nice trouble shooting, Stealership would have said you needed a whole new rear end, haha.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”