Oil Filter, 2011 Pathfinder??

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

marc515

Oil Filter, 2011 Pathfinder??

Postby marc515 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:14 pm

I recently purchased a Fram XG 7317 Ultra Oil Filter, however, it is smaller than the OEM Nissan Filter, and smaller means less filter media.

What Oil Filters do you guys use?

Thank you
m

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:00 pm

Nissan only

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:12 pm

There are two Nissan filters that will work; one is smaller than the other. Nissan used to use the longer filters on most of its later model engines, but when they started putting oil coolers on some of the engines, they installed the shorter filter. One of the benefits of the shorter filter is that it keeps the oil capacity the same between the oil cooler equipped and non-cooler equipped versions of the engine for that year and model. In most cases, the longer filter will just fine in place of the shorter filter, but it adds about another 1/2 pint to the capacity.
On mine, I usually use Nissan 15208-9E01A and when I run out of my stock, I'll go with Purolator Pure One PL14610. There are a number of good aftermarket filters that will work just fine and Purolator makes a lot of them, including Motorcraft and Bosch Distance filters. I don't use Fram or STP oil filters.

Kestral

Re: Oil Filter, 2011 Pathfinder??

Postby Kestral » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:01 pm

marc515 wrote:I recently purchased a Fram XG 7317 Ultra Oil Filter, however, it is smaller than the OEM Nissan Filter, and smaller means less filter media.

Thank you
m
The Fram Ultra is a top notch filter Two stage wire back reinforced filter media that has some of the best rated filtering on the market. Metal end caps and synthetic anti drain back valve. I forget if the Ultra is rated for 13,000 or 15,000 mile oil change capacity but the Fram Ultra will do that all day long. If you go to the bobistheoilguy web site go to the forums then look for the section on oil filters you can look at many a Fram Ultra that were run for two or even three oil changes then cut open and they look great. Several people have had there oil tested running Fram Ulta filters to a max recommend interval with great success. Actually I am running one for two oil changes right now. The Fram Ultra will hold significantly more dirt then the factory Nissan filter.

I used the Fram ultra exclusively on my Toyota 4Runner V6 that I put 200,000 miles on before selling. With several times running the filter for two oil changes or between 12-14,000 miles. With my oil tested by Blackstone labs stating real low wear. (Oil tested between 6-7k)

In a nutshell my friend feel confident in that Fram Ultra you are running its one of the best on the market right now!

Kestral

Re: Oil Filter, 2011 Pathfinder??

Postby Kestral » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:05 pm

marc515 wrote:I recently purchased a Fram XG 7317 Ultra Oil Filter, however, it is smaller than the OEM Nissan Filter, and smaller means less filter media.

Thank you
m
Also just so you know the size of the oil filter has nothing to do with how much filtering media the filter has.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:28 pm

Another thing to consider, if you have enough dirt in your oil to make any oil filter clog, regardless of size, you really need to change your oil more often or you got major problems with your engine!

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:52 am

smj999smj wrote:Another thing to consider, if you have enough dirt in your oil to make any oil filter clog, regardless of size, you really need to change your oil more often or you got major problems with your engine!
SMJ brings up the most important thing and that is just change it at a reasonable timeframe and you should be fine. Frankly I think we often over Analize this with best oil, best filter etc. My father has always used what ever oil is on sale with cheep filters and he always gets 2-300,000 miles out of his cars and trucks.

Just a side note if you bought your Pathfinder used it would be smart to do two or three short oil changes to make sure the motor is clean before extending your oil changes. Pick up a name brand conventional to use for this no reason to waste $$ on a good synthetic for a short oil change flushes. Actually one of the best rated oils for cleaning sludge is Pennzoil Yellow bottle conventional.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”