Nearly got stuck, need a sanity check, maybe some education

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Science Abuse

Nearly got stuck, need a sanity check, maybe some education

Postby Science Abuse » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:22 am

Yesterday we were at the beach, during a gale, sand dunes blowing across the lot. I drove through in 2wd and came to a stop. Popped it into 4LO, and continued to just spin one wheel. it finally dug thorugh the sand, hit pavement, and off I went. Now I'm looking ahead to winter with this pig, haunted by the memory; "My old Outback never had that problem, what have I done?"

So I'm looking around the forums here at locker projects, and I'm consumed by the question:
Did Nissan seriously not put anything in these things to cut the hole-digging wheel spin? No limited slip? Is mine broken?

This is my first 4x4, sorry if this is all basic.

A custom Locker would be cool, but it'd be nice if there was some OEM solution that I could drop in before its starts snowing.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:38 am

No OEM locker for Pathfinders unfortunatly
But there is a couple after market ones.

Science Abuse

Postby Science Abuse » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:56 am

Thanks for the lead. Am I correct in reading that my 2012 has an R200 rear Diff?
How about the front?

Any simple LSD for the rear? Better than nothing at this point.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:59 pm

The front diff is an R180 and the rear is an R200, if I remember correctly. It has what's called "electronic limited slip," which is used in a number of vehicles by different manufacturers, including Mercedes Benz. It has open rears in the front and back and uses the anti-lock brake system to lock a wheel that is spinning, which puts the power to the wheel with the traction. There has been some work in trying to get an air locker system or a Powertrax conversion for our rears, but I think it's still in progress. You might be interested in this thread:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=11752

Science Abuse

Postby Science Abuse » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:21 pm

smj999smj wrote:.. uses the anti-lock brake system to lock a wheel that is spinning...
Ahh I'm familiar. That's something that is definitely not happening on my LE. So it's either malfunctioning.... or I haven't got it turned on?

These are all kinda stupid questions because I'm kind of a stupid person. lol

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:08 pm

There is a simple LSD available for the R200 (Quaife QDF10L).

The Subaru WRX has the R180 in the rear with a helical limited slip stock. Theoretically it will fit in the Pathy as well.

This guy is trying to put the Subie LSD in his Xterra (and the QDF10L in the C200k)
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... tier-C200k

But yeah the R51 has ABLS although the helical or gear driven LSDs act quicker and work better. Guys on TitanTalk love the helical LSD/ABLS combo.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:35 pm

Science Abuse wrote:
smj999smj wrote:.. uses the anti-lock brake system to lock a wheel that is spinning...
Ahh I'm familiar. That's something that is definitely not happening on my LE. So it's either malfunctioning.... or I haven't got it turned on?

These are all kinda stupid questions because I'm kind of a stupid person. lol

Could be your ABLS wasnt kicking in. In 4hi and VDC turned off turns ABLS off also but In 4Lo the VDC automatically turns off but ABLS stays on could be you were still In 4hi and didnt notice. Unless your slip,VDC,ABS lights are always on there is a problem with your Sensors reading something off

azaizai

Postby azaizai » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:45 am

Had a similar problem in a slick/muddy hill climb with the pathfinder.

Its 4LO. If you're slipping and you dont want to spin its gotta be 4HI and a little speed (like higher than 5mph)

Like SMJ said, its an ABS based limited slip system. If you're not going fast enough to afford a little slowdown (ABS applying brakes to the slipping wheel to send the power to the other side of the axle) then it will just stop you.

I kept getting stuck in a muddy part in 4LO trying to keep things calm. Gave myself a little run, put it in 4HI and got a little speed before hitting the spot and got through it. I still slipped but I never stopped moving. I had momentum on my side, and I would like to think that the system got some grip on the wheel that had it.

labsy

Postby labsy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:13 pm

Hmmm....regarding ALSD, mine is (I think) operating differently.

It is controlled with ESP (or TCS, don't recon right now and I am lazy to take a look) button. If I leave it on as it is:
- in 2Hi and 4Hi it is functioning as a electronic limited slip
- in 2Lo it is OFF and I can rew up to the bottom and wheels will keep turning with full speed

If I disengage ESP by depressing the button, ESP light comes on on dashboard and now in ALL modes I can rev and dig holes with any spinning wheel. Nothing is restricting them, no ABS kicking-in.

So in my config electronic limited slip or ALSD is NOT engaged in 4LO mode, because it automatically turns off.

...or am I missing something?

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:34 pm

Hmmm....
From what I understand and have experienced with my 2011 LE, the LSD functionality doesn't turn off with the VDC mode disengaged.
All VDC does is cut engine power and help prevent a spinning tire to cause a spin-out while on the road.

Every time I'm off-road, I disengage the VDC while in 4HI and have no slipping issues. If one wheel slips the other side will grab above 3000 rpm.
And yes in 4LO VDC is automatically turned off because you would never drive on the road or at least a dry surface with it engaged. Therefore never needing to throttle back. (Besides 4LO is almost too low to spin anything anyway.

Addressing the original post:
Tire type and pressure could have caused the problem.
A road tire inflated to a high pressure would have a small contact zone and therefore all your tires could have been spinning. (one front and one back one)
I know with sand it can be tricky at low speeds. 4LO may have been too low to actually grab and get you out quickly.

First rule of off-roading ->Always better to put it in 4 wheel drive BEFORE you get stuck. If you anticipate a problem, pop that bad boy in 4HI and she'll get you through most anything!

Hope that helps! :)

azaizai

Postby azaizai » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:58 am

Thats a good point Touchdown. I used to use 4wd as a on-the-spot solution and would get myself into trouble. Now I turn it on as long as I'm sure there's nothing too dry beneath me and I think I might need it.

At least that way you know when you're gonna get stuck and can adjust that skinny pedal movement appropriately.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”