Rear axle DIY?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

InNeedOfBoost

Rear axle DIY?

Postby InNeedOfBoost » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:37 pm

My left axle boot busted and sprayed grease all over the inside of the wheel and wheel well.

Got a replacement from rockauto. It looks pretty straight forward, but just wondering if anyone has a write up on it, if not any tips or things I should watch for while doing this.

Thanks

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:32 pm

The boot only or the whole shaft?

Doing the boot is annoying. I'd pull the shaft and clean it up really good. I've taken it to the car wash and pressure washed it. Makes it easier to put together. You get new grease with the boot anyways.

InNeedOfBoost

Postby InNeedOfBoost » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:37 am

The whole shaft

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:43 am

Pretty straightforward, you will have to pop the balljoint, and you'll need to do that with a Ball Joint remover or a pickle fork. If you use a pickle fork, make sure to lube it up good so you don't shred the ball joint boot.

The shaft can be a little stubborn coming out, if you really can't get it, go rent a slide hammer from your FLAPS and it'll pop right out. Just did this job on my accord, it was a breeze.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”