4LO in reverse?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

labsy

4LO in reverse?

Postby labsy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:35 pm

Hi,

few days ago I went some offroading. Soil was wet, end of autumn, full of leaves in the forest. I hit up quite steep hill, but failed as it was too slippery, despite of 4LO and excellent Duratracs.

What I noticed is when I was reversing downhill it seems to me that 4LO did not engage in the means of engine not braking when going backwards in 4LO (I have auto transmission) :? Is it something by design, something not working, or was it my perception?

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:39 pm

diesels have engine braking?
i dont think i have went in reverse in 4lo i think you have to do the braking when in reverse

labsy

Postby labsy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:08 pm

Thupertrooper wrote:diesels have engine braking?
You mean if A/T transmission has engine braking? If it has manual shifting mode too, then it does, almost like any manual transmission model. That's not related to fuel/engine type.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:09 am

Hmmmm...

Could it be possible that you were doing more sliding backwards and it felt like you were rolling?

This has happened to me going forward down a steep hill that's muddy. I find that 4LO prevents the wheels from rolling fast enough and they tend to slide as opposed to going down the same hill in 4Hi where the higher gearing will allow them to roll and you can use the brake to control speed.

Another option is that you weren't in 4LO.
I'm sorry to say that I've done this a couple times myself "in the heat of the moment", shifting into 4LO (it's not supposed to BTW) without putting it in neutral first, but it doesn't actually engage the 4LO gearing.

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:32 am

to shift to 4LO...engage N depress brake pedal wait for the 4LO indication to light up on the dash

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”