Volant CAI fitment issues...anyone?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:42 am

What a gigantic pain in the ass! I seriously can't believe they sell a box with a huge hole cut out of it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:56 pm

So, here we go, again! I got a pretty good deal on an aFe Momentum CAI system with a dry filter. The system is pretty slick on it's design and I like it better than the Volant, albeit, it's a lot more expensive. However, the same fitment issues I had with the Volant box exist with the aFe box and the upper mount bracket is lifting the box up. I'm about ready to cut off the "L" bracket from the ABS mounting bracket, which is where the upper mount bolt of the air box screws into; this would allow the box to be aligned correctly with the fender inlet and the box would just sit on the two, bottom mounts. Waiting to hear back from aFe tech support before I start cutting..

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:23 pm

After some bending, hammering and more bending of the upper mount bracket, I finally got the aFe air box to fit!

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:26 am

With the combination of the cai and your supertuner did you gain any mpg or feel any significant hp?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:05 am

Well prior to the install of the CAI and the re-tune (91 Performance Tune), I had installed an XTP plenum spacer, Doug Thorley shorty headers and mid-pipes and a Magnaflow muffler. The exhaust seemed to help the high end, the plenum seemed to take a little away from the bottom end and increase the power in the mid-range, but none of this gave me any improvement in gas mileage. With the addition of the CAI and performance tune, it seems to have better power throughout the RPM range and, though it's still too early to get a good assessment of the mileage, I'm getting another 2 MPG more. Time will tell once I get some more mileage on it. It also has a really nasty (in a good way) sound as she accelerates from a stop at WOT and the Magnaflow sounds much better with a few months and a few thousand miles on it now that she's broken in.
My only beef is that I could not find a WOT restriction disable on the Supertuners, whom I'm waiting to hear back from.
I started a thread on all the mods; I just have to get back to it to update and finish it.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:29 pm

I already have an Airraid cai but found a nismo one on craigslist cheap but have been debating supertuner and bullydog. My airraid has alot of miles already. The XTP spacer i heard does work but debating with price.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:45 pm

There's nothing really special about the Nismo CAI compared to the AirRaid. I seriously considered the Injen system, but when I looked into it, the inlet is spaced away from the inner fenderwell and the front of the air box has a screen, which would seem to me that it would allow the hot air in the engine compartment into the air box, defeating the whole purpose of installing it.
I originally went with Volant, which I got because it was a good price and it was an actual sealed box (other than the inlet and the ram air scoop). The problems I ran into were multiple. First, the top mount sat too high, which caused the box to sit at an angle and not engage all of the mounts...a problem I had with the aFe Momentum box until I "adjusted" the upper mount bracket with a pry bar and hammer. The other issue is the box would not fit with the horns installed. Volant swapped out the box for one with a cut out of the horns, but it left a big, gaping hole in the front of the box, which you can see if you read the thread. The aFe Momentum box lets you have a ram scoop on top of the box or gives you the option to plug it off. The filter is easier to replace and can be seen through the glass window on top of the box. It also gives plenty of room for the horns in front of it. What I don't like about it is that it is very expensive (regular price is $425...but I got it at 20% off, so about $350 +/-) and it only has a two year warranty, whereas many others, including Volant, have a lifetime warranty. The aFe also uses the mounting grommets from the original, Nissan air filter box and offers a dry filter, which the Volant does not.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:49 am

Did you end up keeping the volant or returned?
From 2008 and up didnt they have different front end maybe thats why you had issues?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:32 am

After going back and forth with Volant tech support, I ultimately ended up returning the Volant system. I have both a 2006 LE and a 2008 SE and I ran into the same fitment issue with both of them. Volant even sent me a different box, which was meant for 2008-and-later R51s, which had a cutout for the horns. Ironically, it's actually the early R51s that really have the clearance issue with the horns. Otherwise, the mounting for the air box is exactly the same between the two years. The issue with the one in the cutout is that instead of sealing off the cutout, they just took the original air box and cut out a big hole to clear the horns and left it.
After working with the aFe box, I believe now that I could have gotten the Volant box to fit if I bent the upper mount bracket the same way, however, I would have had to relocate the horns to use the original box or live with the big gaping hole in the second box (you can see the comparison if you go back to the post on Jan. 27). The other thing is that the Volant box had a ram air scoop on the side of it. The thing is, though, that the scoop is directly behind the plastic filler panel on the left side of the radiator, which blocks off any air to it. The selling company also mis-represented the Volant as having a Powercore dry filter, which, instead, came with a Pro5 oiled-filter; the Volant box for the R51 does not have a Powercore filter that will fit it.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:33 pm

@smj999smj

Im bring this post back up since im still looking for a CAI and debating the Volant.
Price on 4x4parts was $307plus shipping. What price did you find it cheapest?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:28 pm

Thupertrooper wrote:@smj999smj

Im bring this post back up since im still looking for a CAI and debating the Volant.
Price on 4x4parts was $307plus shipping. What price did you find it cheapest?
I got my Volant #12640 (which I later returned) from THMotorsports. At the time, they were the cheapest and Volant has a $25 rebate going on. THM currently sells the Volant 12640 for $244.32 and free shipping:

http://thmotorsports.com/i-1988051.aspx ... oC1RPw_wcB

They also have the Volant #12540 for those interested in that for $259.57:

http://thmotorsports.com/i-1985765.aspx ... oCNPjw_wcB

The 12540 is supposed to be for 08 and later Frontiers & Xterras w/ the V6. As I pointed out earlier, the difference between the two is that the 12540 is essentially the 12640 with a big cut out in the front to clear the horns, which it does do for those vehicles and the Pathfinders, but also leaves a big hole in the box which they should have enclosed to keep dirt out.
As far as the aFe Momentum intake system w/ the dry filter, I am really happy with it. It's definitely a nicer put together system than the Volant, but I can't find it anywhere for less than $425+free shipping.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:38 pm

Thanks man ill keep you posted on how it fits my 2005.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:15 am

I don't know if the Volant comes with the spacers (mine didn't) now, but, if it doesn't, contact Volant tech support and they will send them to you. The "spacer" are a rubber bushing with a threaded stud on each side; there are three of them. They go into the mount hole for the air box and then the air box installs on them and attaches with flat washers and nuts. Otherwise, you'll be bolting the air box directly to the sheet metal, which is kind of a poor design. Hopefully, they improved upon the instructions because mine were outdated and terrible! If the box doesn't install correctly, bend the ABS mount bracket downward so it looks like this:

In case the image doesn't post correctly, the harness should be at the bottom of the pick and the brake lines going into the ABS actuator should be on the top.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Well i got the CAI and of coarse the holes didnt match up and bolts werent long enough but its mounted.

Another problem was that section wouldnt let the filter slide in so i have to wedge it up.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:42 pm

Is this a Volant? If so, I had the same issues until I figured out the upper mount point on the ABS mount bracket was too high. It was the same on my 2006 and 2008. Once I adjusted the bracket like shown, the bolts all lined up.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”