05 trans not shifting properly

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Muuarren

05 trans not shifting properly

Postby Muuarren » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:49 am

Yesterday my wife was driving and the trans would not shift out of 1st. After stopping, shutting it off and restarting it was fine. I plan on checking the fluid but was wondering what else I might be in for.

Thanks

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:01 am

Have you replaced or bypassed radiator yet?

Muuarren

Postby Muuarren » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:17 am

I haven't, though I've only had it for about 8k miles. Would there be fluid in the radiator as well? Because the antifreeze looks fine.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:55 am

I think the radiator fluid usually looks bad too, but I suppose if it's early on maybe just a little bit has slipped into the transmission. I'd check asap! Otherwise it might be something electronic or a sensor on the transmission. Regardless, get that radiator bypassed before it does go bad!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:00 am

not shifting is usually a sign of either low fluid or stuck shift solenoids. Check the fluid level and condition and let us know.

Muuarren

Postby Muuarren » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:57 pm

So the level looks okay, might be just a touch above full checked cold. It is not red. it looks clear but nearer the color of motor oil than what I am used to seeing in a transmission. Is this proper? I thought I had checked it before, but when I got to the the bolt that holds the dipstick in I remembered getting that far before but must have gotten distracted.

It looks like the "okay" color in this picture

http://transmissionrepairguy.com/wp-con ... colors.png

Thanks for your input

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:59 pm

Nissan-matic "J" ATF has a slightly different color than Dexron and some other ATF's. It's kind of a "off-pink" color on the dipstick and when you drain it out, it's brown in color. I've serviced mine a few times with Valvoline Maxlife ATF and now it's more of a red color. As long as you don't see white streaks in the fluid or a custard-like goop, which would indicate water (engine coolant) has contaminated the fluid, you're fine. But, if it hasn't been done, I would still replace the radiator or bypass it ASAP.

Muuarren

Postby Muuarren » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:43 am

So am I looking at a faulty solenoid? If so how difficult are they to change? How would I tell if the radiator has been changed? That is one thing that I've never determined is how to know if it has been done. Sorry for the barrage of questions.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:10 pm

Well, it "could" be a bad solenoid. You'd have to test the circuit, resistance test the solenoid and possibly some other checks. If it is an intermittent failure, it makes it much more difficult to determine. The problem with it being a solenoid is that they are very hard to find individually and Nissan sells them as part of an expensive, valve body/TCM assembly. If it only happened once, I would wait and see if it happens again before doing anything.
As far as the radiator, look for a Calsonic sticker on the top of the tank. There will be a part number of 21400-EA215, -EA265 or possibly even -EA200 if it has the original radiator. If it has 21400-9CA2E, you have a Nissan replacement radiator, which, depending on how early of a unit it is, may or may need be the "updated" unit. Apparently, the correction was made under this part number, but a few with the -9CA2E part number have had the cooler fail, as well. The current radiators from Nissan are updated, but are expensive at $550 MSRP. They also have a discounted radiator for $350.
Aftermarket radiators will not have the Calsonic sticker on the top tank. They also will not have "NISSAN" molded into the top of the tank. They may or may not have the same petcock as the OEM radiator (different thread pitch and/or a tab you can turn with your hand, rather than a Phillips cross-four provision). The aftermarket radiators have been reliable, so far, as we can tell. I haven't heard of any cooler failures, although my friend installed a Denso unit and the tank developed a small crack in the tank less than a month later. Most aftermarkets are made in China, but they seem to be of good quality. I purchased an Ebay radiator for $92 four years ago and it's been fine. Spectra-Premium is a popular option and Stillen has an all aluminum radiator for $350, although I have heard of one member having a problem with it; I'm not sure if it was just a one-time thing or a design issue or if it's been correctly.

Muuarren

Postby Muuarren » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:02 pm

It is intermittent, occurring once every week or two. Not certain how to proceed as time and weather are not on my side right now. I appreciate all the help.

I haven't been able to locate the part number on the radiator. I thought I had but when I look up that number it is the A/C Condenser. Sure looked to be on the radiator. I'll examine the petcock and the other items you mentioned. Thanks again.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”