Air Filters

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

BCpathy

Air Filters

Postby BCpathy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:36 am

Just wondering what brand of PAPER air filter you guys use. I had a look at my filter a few days ago, and decided it needs to be replaced for the first time.

I know that many of you guys have modified to a CAI. But I don't really want to spend that money right now.
Therefore I opted to stick with the factory intake system.

Let me explain my intentions towards dealing with air intake. Would be great if you could give me your opinions on this:
I am not really a huge fan of cotton filters for everyday use. In my opinion, I will never get to the point where more airflow than the factory system, with the paper filter provides, is needed. Unless I push the pathfinder into high performance situations. Plus, I am pretty sure that I'll be getting problems with the MAF sensor and/or throttle body, due to the oil used on the cotton filters. At least if I use the cotton filter for a long duration of time.
I don't do any SERIOUS off roading. We go into the mountains for fishing, hunting and camping on logging roads. But I don't do any mudding or river crossings or things like that. So the filter will have to deal with dust, but not with any moisture thats worth mentioning or sand.
Personally, I don't believe that cotton filters filter out as much dirt as paper filters do. But I am also under the impression, that cotton filters let my V6 breathe much better, when I am going to tow a 4000-5000 Ibs camping trailer in extreme situations like the coquiahala highway (7%, 8% at times).

So my approach is, to go with a paper filter for my everyday driving (my wife is the main driver and she rarely revs up higher than 3k. And even that only while passing on the highway, for the duration of the pass.). It'll provide better cleaning when on the dusty ligging roads and deliver more airflow than ever needed in those situations.
I also bought a k&n filter, that I swap in, every time I do REAL towing or when I go for extended highway trips. I'm speaking 300 miles+, on highways or interstates I might do 80 mph and more.

Do you guys think, my idea makes any sense? Or do you rather think, it'll make no difference at all and I am just over reacting on the air filter issue?

Please also let me know, what brand of filter does the best job. There was a FRAM filtet in there. Not sure, how good a job a "cheap product" like FRAM does.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:26 pm

I think most conventional paper filters will work for you just fine and are pretty similar in performance for the average driver. Wix, Purolator and Fram all make quality air filters; Purolator makes a lot of the "off-brands," as well. If you are really particular about what filter to use, you could always stick with the genuine Nissan filters. I would also think the majority of Pathfinder owners are using the stock intake system and conventional filters. It's really not a bad design and only because a performance issue after significant modifications have been made and at high RPM/WOT conditions.

BCpathy

Postby BCpathy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:44 pm

Thank you for your reply smj999smj

I agree with you, that the factory intake system does a very good job in 99% of the time. And I am not the guy, that will ever find himself in the othet 1%. If I ever do the CAI upgrade, than more out of passion for projects on my vehicles, rather than out of necessity.

Just before Christmas, I took the coquiahala high mountain pass. Lets call it, the ike gautlet of Canada. I was doing a constant 90 to 100 mph, for over 40 or 50 miles distance, going up several parts of 7%, and one of 8%.. Even in the thin mountain air, I never felt the engine was gasping for breath. So overall pretty happy.

I'm more concerned about the towing. I'll be doing all my towing with this vehicle in the years yo come. From where i live, it doesn't matter if you go east or west, north or south. You have to crest the mountains at some point. And there are long limbs of 7 to 8% everywhere. So, I'll be maxing the towing capacity of my pathy, and that on high mountain roads. Needing to keep 60 mph, to not loose momentum. Just want to make sure, the engine last me at least another 150k miles. I look after my vehicles very well, and everything else would be disapointing. I chose the pathfinder vor its VQ series engine. Thats why I got that cotton filter in addition to my paper one. Better safe than sorry.

In the end, no matter which suspension upgrades you make, or if you have rear airbags, the engine will have to keep up with in the long run. :D :D

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:24 pm

I use NAPA gold which is a WIX filter. Oil samples come back terrific at 9k-10k miles intervals and silicon levels are always very low. I don't have much interest reusable filters either. I ran them years ago and really didn't see the benefit and always noticed higher contaminant levels in the oil when using them.

It applies to all air filters, but be sure the gasket is seated in the housing properly. The way the cover locks in, it's not difficult to miss the bottom back peg.

BCpathy

Postby BCpathy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:38 pm

skinny2 wrote:I use NAPA gold which is a WIX filter. Oil samples come back terrific at 9k-10k miles intervals and silicon levels are always very low. I don't have much interest reusable filters either. I ran them years ago and really didn't see the benefit and always noticed higher contaminant levels in the oil when using them.

It applies to all air filters, but be sure the gasket is seated in the housing properly. The way the cover locks in, it's not difficult to miss the bottom back peg.
Thanks. I'll try the Napa gold.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:02 pm

After struggling to get the tabs properly installed when re-installing the top of the air filter box, I learned it's a lot easier to just remove the air duct assy., install the top of the air box and then re-install the air duct assy.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:39 pm

smj999smj wrote:After struggling to get the tabs properly installed when re-installing the top of the air filter box, I learned it's a lot easier to just remove the air duct assy., install the top of the air box and then re-install the air duct assy.
Lol.. After realizing that yelling at the top of the air box cover does not make it fit any better I totally agree with SMJ

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:32 pm

I have really liked the Purolator PureOne air filters. They are the blue air filter. They are very well constructed and seem to hold up very well compared to just regular paper air filter.

Purolator PureOne PA44727

Info: Step up to a Purolator PureONE air filter and get up to twice the capacity of conventional air filters. An effective and clean air filter will help save your engine from costly damage and expensive repairs. When the PureONE air filter was tested head-to-head against other air filters, PureONE air filters trapped almost double the contaminants allowing fewer contaminants to get into your engine and cause damage.

Product Features:

Can improve acceleration up to 11%
Has up to twice the capacity of conventional air filters
Oil wetted high capacity media that provides 99.5% efficiency for contaminant removal
Durable polyurethane binding protects engine parts

Product Application(s):

2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE Off-Road

PureOne Air

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”